C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$600 and change later...

Old 07-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default $600 and change later...

Well...I hated to do it but I had to take the Vette in to get work done to it. I had so many little things wrong with it that I felt overwhelmed by it all. I also didn't feel like I could go out and spend a ton of time getting all these things fixed with my wife and new ten month old boy looking on. The guilt factor was too high, so I did what I had to, which is throw a wad of money at it. I had an intermittent miss that was making the car absolutely no fun to drive along with an exhaust leak that gave my Vette a certain tractor sound like quality. On top of that, the water pump bearings were shot. It sounded like somebody had put a belt around an empty coffee can up there, so that was replaced. I was afraid of a catastrophic failure that would send the fan into the radiator or worse. I got new ignition wires that seems to have really smoothed out the engine as well as new valve cover gaskets. At least I feel like I have a handle on this now and can still spend some time to fixing the other small stuff and devote some time to the family. The guy that worked on my car gave me the keys and said "I hate working on Vettes." He apparently spent a lot of time with the exhaust leak. A bunch of the bolts in the manifold broke and he spent an entire day un-screwing that. Luckily the shop owner has been with me through several of my past cars and cut me a break on the labor hours for the exhaust issues otherwise I would be looking for a second job to get the Vette out of hock! Oh, well it is always something, and like I said before..If its got **** or tires..it's gonna cost you!

CVT4ME
Old 07-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Tominator
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: $600 and change later... (CVT4ME)

Well, it's just a hobby so whatever is most enjoyable for you. :cheers:

[Modified by Tominator, 9:32 AM 7/11/2003]
Old 07-11-2003, 12:51 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: $600 and change later... (Tominator)

Now that I make almost as much as the shop guys charge an hour, I only do the fun jobs, or the 15 minute jobs (that take two hours). I'll spend the time having fun. When I was younger, my idea of fun was hanging with my friends working on cars. Now the friends have Audi's/ Honda's and my car is the only one needing work. Joe

Get notified of new replies

To $600 and change later...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $600 and change later...