C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 06:52 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix???

got me a roll of Reflectix yesterday and plan on installing it under my carpet soon...
what im wondering is, do i stick it to the floor with anything?
i dont want it shifting around under there but i dont know what to use or if i need to stick it down at all...
also..the aluminum tape...are there any that are better or worse than others?
Old 07-11-2003, 07:05 AM
Ybnormal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix??? (SIGNGUY)

Signguy,
Just did this myself and I didn't need anything to glue it down, it won't shift. I did use the aluminum tape, but also had problems with it not sticking is some areas. I found that duct tape worked well in those areas. It molds to the contour very well and stays in place. Plus once the carpet and seats are bolted in shifting won't be a problem. Hope this helps, there are some pictures of mine here www.angelfire.com/al/swhite7/interior.html

YBNormal...drive a vette
Old 07-11-2003, 09:45 AM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix??? (SIGNGUY)

Did mine and used 3m spray adhesive.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:18 AM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix??? (Ybnormal)

Signguy,
Just did this myself and I didn't need anything to glue it down, it won't shift. I did use the aluminum tape, but also had problems with it not sticking is some areas. I found that duct tape worked well in those areas. It molds to the contour very well and stays in place. Plus once the carpet and seats are bolted in shifting won't be a problem. Hope this helps, there are some pictures of mine here www.angelfire.com/al/swhite7/interior.html

YBNormal...drive a vette

:iagree: I just did mine the same way. I will use some of the 3M adhesive for parts of the carpet though.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Packy76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix??? (Ybnormal)

I did basiclly the same process comes out nice....I have the same kind of leaf collector you have nice huh..after I finished I saw a part in docrebuild.com that you place in front of the blower fan to keep debris out, looked like just a piece of screen to me,would of been nice to put it in though
Old 07-11-2003, 10:45 AM
Skeets
Racer

i used 3M Evostick... i stuck underfelt to the floor, then stuck reflective insulation to the underfelt. Mind you, i was not using original carpets.. i made my own so i could have removeable footwell mats (just in case the car starts to leak again!)
Old 07-11-2003, 12:39 PM
conway62
Pro

I put the same stuff down in my 71. I used 3M spray adhesive and the Reflectix aluminum tape. It worked great. I did all serfaces including in side the storage bin area and wheel wells. I then used Juke padding over the entire area front and rear. I also used 3M spray to stick the padding to the Reflectix. I then installed new carpet. Came out great. External heat is sealed out of the car and road noise with the top up is reduced by approx. 60 %. Some of the noise reduction is because there was not Juke padding in the car except for under the foot wells. Total investment was around 200.00 Money well spent.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:44 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix??? (conway62)

What is this product that you guys are using for insulation and where did you get it ?

I need to do my 1980 with some heat barrier. I am going to wrap the exhaust pipes from the headers back to the cat. converters. I would like to put some type of aluminum heat shield on the engine side of lower firewall (behind the pedals, foot well area) and then on the inside of the entire cockpit area.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix??? (BSeery)

Reflectix comes in 50' rolls at ACE,Lowes or Home Depot kind of places. Great stuff. Real light, super insulator and thin. I also used it on the tunnel over the trans and the outside of the A/C evaporator case as well. 3M spray adhesive worked great, but the surface must be clean. I use acetone to clean off the old gunk, paint, glue, etc...

Hans
Old 07-11-2003, 01:15 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Default Re: undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix??? (Wrencher)

Reflectix comes in 50' rolls at ACE,Lowes or Home Depot kind of places. Great stuff. Real light, super insulator and thin. I also used it on the tunnel over the trans and the outside of the A/C evaporator case as well. 3M spray adhesive worked great, but the surface must be clean. I use acetone to clean off the old gunk, paint, glue, etc...

Hans
Is that the stuff that looks like aluminum foil on one side, black on the other side, and then bubble wrap (packing bubble paper) in between ? I got some stuff from Home Depot some time back to insulate my garage door. It was aluminum then bubble wrap and then black. I don't think I like that stuff since it was bubble wrap in the middle. I just picture the bubbles breaking and the insulation factor is then gone.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:29 PM
Koz

Default Re: undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix??? (BSeery)

I got this stuff from Homey.. Silver on both sides. Works great! Glue down with 3M 90 spray..
http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/koz/insulate2.jpg http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/koz/insulate3.jpg http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/koz/insulate4.jpg http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/koz/insulate5.jpg http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/koz/insulate6.jpg http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/koz/insulate7.jpg
Old 07-11-2003, 01:54 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix??? (Koz)

what is Juke padding?
Old 07-11-2003, 02:04 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Default Re: undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix??? (gdh)

what is Juke padding?
that's the sound deadner / padding that looks like it's made from scraps of this and that. It's a factory padding. I looks like someone threw about 20 quilts into a shreader and then took whats left over and made a sheet of padding out of it.

I don't like it as it TRAPS water and is a breading ground for mold and mice love to live in it.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:19 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not only that, but jute is HEAVY. The main reason I used it was weight savings. I got it down to 3090 pounds with the spare (!), but have since re-installed the A/C parts and it's back up to 3280 pounds. With regards to the bubbles breaking, it only seems to be a problem under the heels of your shoes in the pedal area, but I have a pad there and have not seen this.

Hans
Old 07-11-2003, 09:01 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix??? (Wrencher)

Thanks to Bobchad I also got the Reflectix :thumbs: Didn't use any adhesive though as I plan on doing some other interior stuff and may need to move it out of the way in certain areas.

http://www.c3sharktank.com/tech2/carpet/carpet1.html
Old 07-11-2003, 09:42 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Does it effect the carpet install at all?
Old 07-11-2003, 10:17 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix??? (69stingray)

I used the stuff that's like quilts and foil on the back side. It's made for water heaters and comes with foil tape. I used 1 1/4 rolls for the ENTIRE front area including the seat backs over the trans tunnel and under dash, etc. I also put heater shutoff valves on my heater hoses and plugged up some holes in the dash. The last thing I did was install the transmission tunnel collar (but still don't have trans heat shield blanket) and replaced rubber lower shifter boot. After a few weeks of driving around in Houston heat I've noticed ZERO heat in the footwells and it is noticeably cooler in the cabin. It's still warm but that's what 95 degrees, humidity, and no A/C does to you.
My conclusions, yes, it's a little thick and moderately heavy. It does slightly affect how the carpet fits. And yes I could see how it could trap moisture. But my car should never see rain or the type of moisture to be worried about. It seems to do really well at deflecting heat.
Here's a pic:

Get notified of new replies

To undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix???

Quick Reply: undercarpet insulation question...sticking down Reflectix???