C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 10:15 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default (OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada

No... I am not talking about exporting them to get rid of them. Maybe this has been discussed somewhere here before, but alot of us C-3 owners have parents(or maybe only one left) that are getting up in years and prescription costs to keep them going take everything they have coming in each month. Send them to Canada. I gave my 77 year old mother a 'puter a few years back for her birthday and ever since she has been using it to look for cheaper ways to live. She saves anywhere from 30-50% on the same prescription drugs in the U.S. by going across the border via the internet. My mother is completely scared of using her credit card on the internet, but she willingly & happily has been faxing her prescriptions(I actually do them for her) to *canadadrugs.com*. Again... this may have been discussed before, but if you know of anyone who wants to save money and maybe have a better life(elderly or not) send them to this site. Maybe others know of other Canadian enterprises that can be beneficial.

And I just bought a pair of Rayban Aviator sunglasses from a contact lense supplier in Canada for $20.00 less than I could find anywhere else in the U.S. Granted it took 12 days for them to be *exported*.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:13 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: (OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada (bgrice)

Cool! I am looking up the link, and it will be sent to Mom And Dad tonight....

Old 07-11-2003, 12:06 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: (OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada (Desertdawg)

Hey, some of us Canadians have been looking for ways to export our parents' to the warmer climes of the US for years. :lolg: but seriously we have been. :yesnod:
Old 07-11-2003, 12:42 PM
lyndave75
Instructor

I've heard that some U.S. people have been organizing bus trips where they come to Canada, buy all their prescriptions, turn around and go back home!!
Old 07-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, My HMO just informed me yesterday that 3 out of the 4 meds I take for a bad heart go to minimum coverage next month, so I'm looking at a bill of around $140.00 a month in co-pays. That's still only about 25% of the billed cost. Those co-pays would be the extent of my discretionary monies that I was gonna save the economy with. Oh well!

Someone out there is getting rich, but it sure isn't anyone I know...

Hans
Old 07-11-2003, 01:27 PM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: (OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada (lyndave75)

I've heard that some U.S. people have been organizing bus trips where they come to Canada, buy all their prescriptions, turn around and go back home!!
You are right about the bus excursions! I live right across the Canadian border, and seniors will go by the busloads across the river and have their Rx's filled in Windsor. However, the Canadian pharmacists are making a side business out of this too! They charge a fee for any Rx that is not dispensed by a Canadian doctor, if you can believe it!

It's a whole nuther racket out there. It's so unfortunate that the prices of drugs are so disporportionate for the elderly who are on a fixed income.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:48 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Default Re: (OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada (luvmy82)

However, the Canadian pharmacists are making a side business out of this too! They charge a fee for any Rx that is not dispensed by a Canadian doctor, if you can believe it!
they charge us anywhere from 8 - 15 dispensing fee, I am on a complete drug plan so I only get charged $.50 per perscription. My pharmacisit is always complaining about teachers and all gov't EE's who have it so good, but he drives a Mercedes and his sons all have new Acura CL's - must be tough counting pills and they even short us on the counts. :mad
Old 07-11-2003, 02:56 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada (gdh)

Then there are those of us within 45 minutes of the Mexican border. Real cheap that way too.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:05 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: (OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada (Robert N)

Then there are those of us within 45 minutes of the Mexican border. Real cheap that way too.
I wouldn't eat the food in mexico so buying medicine is out of the question. You just cant be sure about buying anything in mexico. Canada is fine though, I've been wanting to take a fishing trip up there for years.

:cheers:
Old 07-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: (OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada (77Dream)

This whole problem is a system that is completely ruined and corrupt. The entire medical community in this country (and the system involved with it) is extorting the american people in a time in their lives, and for a service, that they have no control over. The entire system needs to be scrapped and started over. Anybody going anywhere to get drugs at a reasonable cost is just doing what they need to do to survive without starving or going bankrupt. It's pathetic that in a country like ours something as necessary as medical care has become circling ground for the medical vultures. Then there's insurance companies that are tied right in.......... :mad :mad :mad :mad

I'll quit now. I really get worked up over this particular topic. :crazy:

-Justin
Old 07-11-2003, 03:40 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: (OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada (Robert N)

Pharmacia !
Old 07-11-2003, 06:28 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: (OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada (Dalannex)

I hear ya, buddy. I was just d**m lucky I had my heart problems in the Bahamas, or I'd be pushing up daisies now. My folks still go back to Switzerland for major medical issues as well. Better care by far, and even with the flight, it's at least half. In all fairness to the US system, these other countries do not have the legal liability issue to contend with, but as long as the fox is watching the hen house, we're scr***d...

Either we get robbed blind by the present system, or we let the Government FUBAR it. What a choice :mad

Hans
Old 07-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada (lyndave75)

..And, once we legalize pot, there will be even more buses :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

[Modified by Dwayne 76, 9:34 PM 7/11/2003]
Old 07-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada (gdh)

However, the Canadian pharmacists are making a side business out of this too! They charge a fee for any Rx that is not dispensed by a Canadian doctor, if you can believe it!

they charge us anywhere from 8 - 15 dispensing fee, I am on a complete drug plan so I only get charged $.50 per perscription. My pharmacisit is always complaining about teachers and all gov't EE's who have it so good, but he drives a Mercedes and his sons all have new Acura CL's - must be tough counting pills and they even short us on the counts. :mad
pharmacist, or vending machine? :blueangel:
Old 07-11-2003, 11:39 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Default Re: (OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada (Dwayne 76)

I'..And, once we legalize pot, there will be even more buses :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
I saw a program the other night and the gov't is growing it underground in the Yukon - puts a whole new slant on the term Yukon Gold, Dr's get your script pads ready. I wonder how this will be treated thought under the FTA, softwood lumber is a contentious issue how will our pot do??? :party: , invest in munchy making compnaies now man, dubes on us. :blueangel:
Old 07-12-2003, 08:02 AM
parklawn
Instructor

I guess it must have something to do with the highest taxes we pay in North America.......and most Canadians think we have it made.........guess if you hide things well enought people begin to think all is well especially if your drug plan is "free"?????
I would suggest everyone look at the deductions on the paystub instead of just the botton line...........

:_dupe: :_dupe: :_dupe: :_dupe:

[Modified by parklawn, 8:03 AM 7/12/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To (OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada

Quick Reply: (OT) I love the U.S., but send your parents to Canada