C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Astro Vent question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 08:13 PM
68350hp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astro Vent question

The astro vents in the cargo area on my '68 were duct taped over from the inside. Last week I took off the duct tape to find that there is a thin layer of foam stuff covering the the vents. My car has air and it's a convertible. I was wondering if that stuff is suppost to be there. Is it?

[Modified by 68350hp, 8:14 PM 7/10/2003]
Old 07-10-2003, 10:48 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Astro Vent question (68350hp)

Cars with air had their "Astro Ventilation" disabled at the factory. There shouldn't be any sort of actuators in the rear of the car to open and close them and there shouldn't be anysort of door to cover with tape and foam.
If you are talking about the grills on the back of the deck, it should only have a couple of drain lines going to under the car.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:21 AM
Doc Rebuild
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sir,

Your best avenue for this information is the AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) specific to your model year. The AIM’s Astro Vent section is quite accurate and faithful to the system that was actually installed 30 plus years ago. The alternative is a 30 year old model that was not tampered with, however these are not easy to locate, nor examine. Using these 2 methods you can eliminate the myths and misinformation resulting from 30 year old cars that no longer resemble the original configuration.

Get yourself an AIM, a factory Helm workshop manual, an NCRS tech manual and an old part book and you will have a good foundation for accurate information. The best $200 you will have invested in your Corvette. Remember there is no substitute for years of experience and hands on knowledge and sources of accurate information like these manuals. Unfortunately on the Internet the free advice is not always accurate. I firmly believe there is absolutely no correlation between the number of messages posted and any level of Corvette experience. In fact the more astronomical that message figure, the lesser that experience level. Go figure.

Geoffrey Coenen
NCRS #2473
NCM Lifetime #105
Precision Valley Corvette Museum Charter Member #20 (I think)
Retired #1 56, 63, 67, 68, 68, 69, 75, 99 and I want more! :D
Old 07-11-2003, 09:27 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

The foam should just be around the perimeter of the vent door, like a seal. Thats what mine has.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:55 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 68 with a/c still has the original factory configuration of the astro vents. There is a gasket under a metal trim and a piece of rectangular foam hangs down over the openings. The rectangular foam flaps are held in place at the top with three small rubber push-in type retainers through holes in the metal trim. I guess the flaps semi sealed the astro vent openings. You can still lift push the flaps open with your finger.

Get notified of new replies

To Astro Vent question

Quick Reply: Astro Vent question