C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire extinguisher, mount and Shark Bar group purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 05:05 PM
Speed Direct
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Fire extinguisher, mount and Shark Bar group purchase

Speed Direct would like to announce that we are now offering the Vetteworks fire extinguisher mounts and harness bars for Corvettes. To kick this off we are setting up a group purchase opportunity for all Forum members. We are offering special introductory pricing and free shipping if we can get at least 10 orders lined up.

These fire extinguisher mounts are easy bolt-in designs that require no modifications to your car. Installation requires that the seat be adjusted to the rearmost position. Afterwards a small amount of forward adjustment is possible. If you require the seat to be adjusted forward in order to drive we recommend that you install the extinguisher on the passenger side.

For fire extinguishers we have the best built units in the industry. Amerex is a leader in quality and performance. Both dry chemical and Halotron extinguishers are available in your choice of red or chrome finish. They are supplied with double straps for the mounts to insure a positive attachment to the bracket. This isn’t a feature normally included when you buy these extinguishers from other dealers.

Pricing for the mounts are as follows:

C3-6882D Driver’s side $55.00
C3-6882P Pass. Side $55.00

Pricing for the extinguishers are as follows:

385TC Amerex 2.5lb Chrome Halotron $128.00
385TS Amerex 2.5lb Red Halotron $95.00
384TC Amerex 1.4lb Chrome Halotron $109.00
620TC Amerex 1.0lb Red Dry-chem $42.00
417TC Amerex 2.5lb Chrome Dry-chem $64.00
417T Amerex 2.5lb Red Dry-chem $32.00

Keep in mind that we also offer mounts for C2, C4 and C5’s as well as ’98-02 Dodge Rams, Vipers, 4th gen Camaros and (dare I say) ’64-68 and ‘94-03 Mustangs.

The harness bars fit ’74-77 (Shark Bar I) and ’78-82 (Shark Bar II). A true bolt-on kit, the Shark Bar does not require any permanent modification to the vehicle. The Shark Bar attaches to the existing seat belt anchors and does not block access to the rear compartments. The Shark Bar, which is made from cold roll steel, aligns the belts to the proper angles and exceeds NHRA standards. Kits are designed to use 3" aftermarket belts (also available through Speed Direct) and come with quick release clips so the lap and anti-submarine (crotch) belts can be removed easily. Structural reinforcement is an additional benefit, which helps eliminate squeaks and rattles associated with T-tops. Camera mounts, fire extinguisher mounts and fire extinguishers are also available. The Shark Bar will not work with convertibles. The kit includes all the components and hardware necessary to completely install the system.

SH1-001 Shark Bar for ’74-77 $450
SH2-001 Shark Bar for ’78-82 $450

Various options are available including fire extinguisher mounts, passenger side harness mounts, harnesses (regular latch and camlock) and camera mounts.

You can ask your questions here or e-mail salescf@speeddirect.com If we get 10 people willing to order any combination or items then we can go ahead with the GP.

EDIT: Ok this is the list for those expressing interest in purchasing. We will update this as needed.

1. ToddBrown
2. BSeery?
3. A C
4. phrogs
5. MNJack
6. Marks69BB
7. Tominator
8. 79 Midnight Blue L82
9. Garys81
10. gp82
11. Paul67
13. Todbo
14. vettery
15. PyjamaSam

We definitely have enough to start the GP. You can order by calling 888 425-2776 and giving us your forum name.

[Modified by Speed Direct, 2:27 PM 7/14/2003]
Old 07-10-2003, 06:09 PM
Speed Direct

Default Re: Fire extinguisher, mount and Shark Bar group purchase (Speed Direct)

Wow, I just read ice pac's post about his trouble. This is one of the primary reasons we offer these products. Safety is of paramount importance. Even if you don't buy an extinguisher from us please go to the hardware store and at least get a cheap one for your car. I carry an extinguisher in all of my personal cars. It is just smart to do.

On another note, many of you know vettedan. He is the one who makes these brackets but because he isn't a supporting vendor he has to kind of lay low about promoting things here. So we decided to promote his products. Dan is a great guy and he makes great products. His workmanship and quality are top notch. Quite a few members here have Dan's extinguisher mounts or harness bar in their Vettes. They can testify to the quality and performance of his work.

[Modified by Speed Direct, 5:19 PM 7/10/2003]
Old 07-10-2003, 08:56 PM
ToddBrown
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fire extinguisher, mount and Shark Bar group purchase (Speed Direct)

I would be interested in a chrome 2.5 Halotron and bracket for my 78
Old 07-10-2003, 09:16 PM
Charlie BB
Intermediate

Default Re: Fire extinguisher, mount and Shark Bar group purchase (ToddBrown)

Hi: What are the dimensions of the chrome 2.5 lb Halotron extinguisher?

Thanks, Charlie
Old 07-10-2003, 09:26 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Fire extinguisher, mount and Shark Bar group purchase (Charlie BB)

I could go for a passenger side mount with a red 2.5lb drychem.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:49 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Fire extinguisher, mount and Shark Bar group purchase (BSeery)

When will the Shark Bar be ready for 68 through 73? I'm most interested in the one for a 73. Rod
Old 07-10-2003, 11:28 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Fire extinguisher, mount and Shark Bar group purchase (Red73)

I am interested in the extinguisher bracket and an extinguisher. Which size is shown in the top picture?
Old 07-10-2003, 11:58 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Fire extinguisher, mount and Shark Bar group purchase (A C)

Im down for one ps mount and fire extinguisher for my 69

johnny

[Modified by phrogs, 11:55 PM 7/10/2003]
Old 07-11-2003, 12:44 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Are the prices you have listed going to be the group purchase prices? They look very similar to VetteDan's prices. :) Anyway, this has been on my shopping list for a long time, so put me down for 1 fire extinguisher (exact one to be determined) and a passengerside mount for my 68. :) MJ
Old 07-11-2003, 03:34 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: (MNJack)

:iagree: w/MJ for my 69.

Help me by describing the differences/benefits of the different types of extinguishers and if/when there is/will be a version for the early C3s.

Thanks for your efforts! :cheers:
Old 07-11-2003, 04:36 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Will the extinguisher mount work with any extinguisher? I already have two in the car but the mounting isn't as sturdy as yours.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Tominator
Drifting

Put me down for the following;
C3-6882D Driver’s side $55.00
417TC Amerex 2.5lb Chrome Dry-chem $64.00

I'm also wondering about the driver side postion, do the handles on the FE face the door or console?
Old 07-11-2003, 09:35 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Will the harness bar fit the shoulder belt points in my 71 Vert without interfering with the top latch mechanism?
Old 07-11-2003, 09:40 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Vetteworks products are great. I have a 2.5 chrome halotron in my car. if you are wondering how they fit just check out the following pics in my 71. I ended up waiting till I had a fire to buy and extinguisher, but I wish I had not. There was nothing worse then sitting on the side of the road wondering what to do since my car was flaring up. I was lucky a passer by sacrificed his Bud Light to help put out the fire.

Old 07-11-2003, 09:49 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

That's pretty :cool: But FYI, I made one that fits the same way for my 72, with about a dollars worth of material and a half hours time
Old 07-11-2003, 10:09 AM
PyjamaSam
Pro

Location: At the end of 2 big long black marks on #2 Sideroad and Walkers Line.

I think I would like to get in on this offer, But I have not decided yet. But one question I have, is does the free shipping go all the way up here to Canada? :-)
Old 07-11-2003, 10:45 AM
Speed Direct

Default Re: Fire extinguisher, mount and Shark Bar group purchase (biltogo)

Wow, it's nice to see all the response. We are a 6 people willing to participate already. I'll try to answer all your questions and I'll invite vettedan to chime in if he wants to.

Charlie BB: The 2.5lb extinguisher (either Halotron or dry-chem) is 3" in diameter and approx. 15" long

Red73: I'm not sure when an early C3 Shark Bar will be available. It isn't in development at the moment. Perhaps Dan can answer this better.

MNJack: The prices are about to go up so we are offering a GP at this price with free shipping to forum members.

Marks69BB: The primary differences in the extinguishers are that Halotron leaves no residue and has a classification 2-B:C rating (for a 2.5 lb). The dry-chems leave a residue that is corrosive if exposed to water yet they are inexpensive and carry a classification 10-B:C (for a 2.5 lb)

1970 Stingray: The mount works with a metal strap/metal mount so if your ext. has those you may be able to use the mount. It is important that you use metal mounts in a car because plastic won't be strong enough in the event of an accident.

Tominator: The ext. can be oriented in either direction depending on your preference.

flynhi: No, unfortunately the Shark Bar won't work in a Vert.

PyjamaSam: We may have to charge $3 more for a Canadian delivery. Shoot me your postal code and the city you live in and I'll check.

Get notified of new replies

To Fire extinguisher, mount and Shark Bar group purchase

Old 07-11-2003, 12:01 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I will probably go with the chrome halotron. Nothing worse than needing an extinguisher and not having one!! Sure, the one I have now was about $7.99?? or so from home depot. But if you ever have to use an extinguisher you will wish you had a halotron. MJ
Old 07-11-2003, 01:28 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Fire extinguisher, mount and Shark Bar group purchase (BSeery)

Also, will the passenger side seat still be able to move forward and back? I only move it forward when I have to fish something out from behind it (pens, change, etc). Other than that it stays all the way back.

The dry-chems leave a residue that is corrosive if exposed to water yet they are inexpensive and carry a classification 10-B:C (for a 2.5 lb)
Oh -- I didn't know this part --- how bad can it get ??? I can't afford both the mount AND the better extinguisher. If the Dry-Chem is that nasty maybe I will have to pass on this and save up for a later day.

[Modified by BSeery, 11:33 AM 7/11/2003]
Old 07-11-2003, 01:35 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Fire extinguisher, mount and Shark Bar group purchase (Tominator)

I'm also wondering about the driver side postion, do the handles on the FE face the door or console?
Tominator-The extinguisher mounts with the handle toward the center console. We can customize to your needs.

Vetteworks is in the early devlopment stages for C3 '68-'73 Shark Bar.
Dan

Quick Reply: Fire extinguisher, mount and Shark Bar group purchase