C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AR 383 Arrived Yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 02:23 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AR 383 Arrived Yesterday!

Well, my AR Racing 383 arrived yesterday. I haven't completely uncrated it yet as my old engine is sitting on my engine stand... I suppose it wasn't very well thought out to pull the old engine before the new one arrived... Oh well, maybe I'll buy a second stand or just carefully set my old engine on some foam or something for a bit...

Anyhow, without further ado, here's the required photo (more to come later):

Oh yeah, looked like the shipper set something heavy on top of the crate and the carb poked a hole in the plywood... No apparent damage, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
Old 07-10-2003, 02:28 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: AR 383 Arrived Yesterday! (dath)

:cool:

Curious though, what do you need to do to the new eng that you want to put it on the stand?
Old 07-10-2003, 02:39 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: AR 383 Arrived Yesterday! (Fevre)

Looking good :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 07-10-2003, 02:41 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Dang it, my stupid company rating checker won't let me see the picture :nonod:
I wanna see, I wanna see!!!!
Old 07-10-2003, 02:43 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Dath, I had that same dilemma. What I did was pull the old engine off the stand and suspend with hoist. While in the air, I made a stand consisting of 5 2x4's just like it is supported in the crate. Then I lowered and it is now on it's own stand. Then put the AR on the engine stand, worked on it, and then in the car.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:59 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

:cheers: :cool: I hope that's me someday!
Old 07-10-2003, 04:54 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

:cool: :cheers:
Old 07-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: AR 383 Arrived Yesterday! (GrandSportC3)

Details, man..... and price?

Looks cool.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:28 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Default Re: AR 383 Arrived Yesterday! (tshort)

Dath, I had that same dilemma. What I did was pull the old engine off the stand and suspend with hoist. While in the air, I made a stand consisting of 5 2x4's just like it is supported in the crate. Then I lowered and it is now on it's own stand. Then put the AR on the engine stand, worked on it, and then in the car.
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Did you have him provide you with a flexplate, or did you reuse your exsisting one? I wasn't sure if I should reuse or get a new one...

Fevre: According to Travis (and it looks to be true at first glance), the balancer is a slightly different size and thus I will need to somehow work out pulley alignment. I suppose I could do that while it is on the hoist, but I have no idea what I need to do to make the pulleys line up properly. In fact, if Travis could elaborate on this a bit, I'd appreciate it:->

Scooter70: Check out the link in my signature for more details... Price is around $3500 shipped, plus more for the carb, fuel pump, and nitrous kit... Mark does a variety of engine builds. My engine took longer to complete than I had hoped, but Mark has been swamped, both with work, and with rain as he's in Virginia and there has been a *LOT* of rain there...

I will give more updates with progress soon. I have a couple other little honey-do projects I need to finish before I really tear into this one...
Old 07-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Congradulations!! I agree.... we want what's in/on that 383. Appears AR supplied you with almost the complete engine(less dist.) including the intake, carb & valve covers. It's kind of hard to tell through the plastic. Are those Dart heads??
Old 07-10-2003, 07:37 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Scooter70: Check out the link in my signature for more details... Price is around $3500 shipped, plus more for the carb, fuel pump, and nitrous kit... Mark does a variety of engine builds. My engine took longer to complete than I had hoped, but Mark has been swamped, both with work, and with rain as he's in Virginia and there has been a *LOT* of rain there...
$3500 !! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My God man I had my orignal motor rebuilt and it put out way way less horsepower than yours and was more expensive, okay I'm going to shoot myself! :rolleyes:
Old 07-10-2003, 07:46 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Default Re: AR 383 Arrived Yesterday! (bgrice)

Congradulations!! I agree.... we want what's in/on that 383. Appears AR supplied you with almost the complete engine(less dist.) including the intake, carb & valve covers. It's kind of hard to tell through the plastic. Are those Dart heads??
Yep, I spent another $910 for the 750 Holley DP, Sniper NOS system, and fuel pump (I think it's a Holley race pump, but he is shipping it separate as the first one was damaged while loading...). Yep, the heads are Dart Iron Eagle 200cc/64cc with some porting work done. I even went and bought a new HEI dist from GM as my old one had a few issues I noticed while going over it... GM guy said it would be less to buy a new one, though it is a Proform, so I suppose I'll have to see how it works...

In retrospect, I should probably have just bought a used 750 DP from someone on the forum since I recall that someone had one with very few miles, but at the time I wasn't sure what I wanted to do yet...
Old 07-10-2003, 07:51 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Default Re: AR 383 Arrived Yesterday! (Cali,77,L-82)

My God man I had my orignal motor rebuilt and it put out way way less horsepower than yours and was more expensive, okay I'm going to shoot myself! :rolleyes:
I hope to have some 1/4 times to back up those figures this summer, but we'll see. I'm still a bit reserved about it, but those are the figures Mark advertised. I know that Oliver has had very good results with his, so I took the plunge and slapped down the dough. I originally wanted to rebuild my motor mostly myself, but I decided at the prices Mark offered, *I* couldn't compete. I'm also impressed with the cleanliness of everything. It all looks really nice, if I'd done it, the paint would probably already be flaking and there would be overspray on everything. I was going to repaint it blue, but I think I'm going to leave it orange as it looks so nice. I usually paint to bolts too because I don't like taking them out just to paint things...
Old 07-10-2003, 08:03 PM
stingray_76
Racer

:cool: :cheers:
Old 07-10-2003, 08:04 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: AR 383 Arrived Yesterday! (stingray_76)

:cheers:
Old 07-10-2003, 08:20 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: AR 383 Arrived Yesterday! (QuickVet)

I'm sending Mark the check for my motor early next week, so it should be here in 2-3 weeks :cool:
Old 07-10-2003, 11:15 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's awesome and keep us posted. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To AR 383 Arrived Yesterday!

Old 07-11-2003, 12:04 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: AR 383 Arrived Yesterday! (74 vert)

Looks like some serious fun waiting to happen! :thumbs:
Old 07-11-2003, 12:09 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Not sure if I have ever heard of anyone buying an engine complete with NOS already installed! :cool: Take it out of the bag!! :lol: MJ
Old 07-11-2003, 12:48 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Dath - I had Mark include a 400 flywheel. In fact, I'm wondering if it's the flywheel that's causing my vibration problems right now. It vibrates/shakes even in neutral around 1200-3300 rpms. Mark thinks it could either be the poly motor mounts just transfering the vibration straight to the frame or that I installed the flywheel on wrong. I can't imagine I installed it wrong, it looked like it could only go on one way.

As for the balancer and pulleys: I bought another water pump from a speed shop in town and the pulley mounting wheel was a little further in (which helped) so I left it at that. It's hard to tell but they are still off a little but not very much.....heck, I wonder if that could cause vibrations???? I'm running one pulley around water pump, crank, and alt. and the other between crank and water pump.

Quick Reply: AR 383 Arrived Yesterday!