C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No sound out of radio

Old 07-10-2003, 01:30 PM
deftones1407
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No sound out of radio

havin a problem w/ the radio... been like this since i bought it... you turnon the radio and hear a pop (normal turn on sound) and nothin after that... i have an 81 w/ the cb / radio feature... and neither works.. im thinkin the amplifier doesnt work in the radio... i've checked and rechecked the wiring.. i know its good.... and the radio displays everytihgn ok

thanks guys
Old 07-10-2003, 07:37 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: No sound out of radio (deftones1407)

Yup, sounds like your radio's internal amplifier could be cooked. A few things you can check - when you say the wiring is good do you mean it looks good or do you mean that you used your multimeter to verify the connections? There is a difference - wires have a nasty habit of looking fine on the outside but the conductor on the inside is gone...

Your unit could have output protection circuitry built in, so if one or more of your speakers are bad, or the wires to the speakers are shorting together or shorting to ground the unit might go into protection mode and not put out any sound. You could disconnect all your speaker wires at the radio and plug in one properly working speaker at a time to see if any sound comes out - maybe not all of your amplifier channels are bad...

Another thing is to verify your input - perhaps your radio tuner is not working? If there is a tape deck is there still no sound while playing a tape?

It could be something like your volume **** is broken so your volume is all the way down and won't go up. It could be something as simple as a bad solder joint too but you would have to open the unit up and physically look for that.

Ultimately your bst bet is to make friends with an electronics technician. Last week my boss gave me a twelve pack for fixing his microwave during work hours :D Anyways, if you take it to a shop try to find a place that does free estimates. Good Luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No sound out of radio