C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Kit is in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Justin79-L-82
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Kit is in!!!

Just finished installing my b+m shift kit using the street strip option. After i put everything back together i put in type f ATF and took her for a spin. It feels like a completely different car now. When i stomp on it it squacks in 2 and 3 gear pretty good, and when normally crusing it has real firm shifts, as oppossed to the really long soft shift it used to have. :D I love it. One of the best mods for the money it costed. I only ran into a problem after i broke one of the valve body bolts from torquing it down to much and misplacing the spring of the speedo for 2 hours.
Now i'm going to the track on sunday the 13th, with my new shift kit and slicks. I'm hoping to break into the 13's. :thumbs:
Old 07-10-2003, 05:53 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Shift Kit is in!!! (Justin79-L-82)

Congrats :cheers:

It really is a great/fun improvement for the autos that come in these (and probably any other) cars.

Good Luck at the track; I'll be watching for results.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:00 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I hate saying this, but MY experiences many times over with shift kits is if the tranny is not super fresh or rebuilt at the time of installation get ready for a total failure within a year....if the weather gets cold this fall, that's when it will happen...most likely.....
many reasons I think I have figgered out why...but it's too complicated and long winded....

best of luck....

GENE
Old 07-10-2003, 07:12 AM
drnerve
Instructor

Congrats! Good luck on Sunday. As for your tranny failing in the future, if you live long enough, and drive your car, especially at the track, you'll be under it again, probably more than once! Enjoy! :cheers:
Old 07-10-2003, 07:17 AM
Yeller81
Instructor

Default Re: Shift Kit is in!!! (drnerve)

I have had my B&M kit set to street strip for almost 2 years now and have not had any problems at all with it.
Stiill the biggest bang for the buck so far.
:steering:
Old 07-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Shift Kit is in!!! (mrvette)

I hate saying this, but MY experiences many times over with shift kits is if the tranny is not super fresh or rebuilt at the time of installation get ready for a total failure within a year....if the weather gets cold this fall, that's when it will happen...most likely.....
many reasons I think I have figgered out why...but it's too complicated and long winded....

best of luck....

GENE
Seems like you are of the few that feels this way...I love my shift kit and I have buddies that have run them for YEARS on cars with over 100k....Oh Well to each his own I guss :cheers:
Old 07-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Justin79-L-82
Pro

Default Re: Shift Kit is in!!! (Alwyn678)

:iagree:
In the off chance that something fails, I will cross that bridge when i get there. As for now i'm going to enjoi the awesomeness of it.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:49 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

:cool: :cheers:
Old 07-10-2003, 12:12 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice job. Major satisfaction from doing it yourself too! :steering:
Old 07-10-2003, 12:16 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Shift Kit is in!!! (mrvette)

I must say, I feel the same way about auto transmissions. On two different cars, just changing the filter & the relatively little amount of fluid in the pan, resulted in two dead transmissions. They were much older cars that had probably seen worse treatment than the Corvette though. So, I did the shift kit in my Corvette fully prepared to put a 700R4 in it after it blew, but 27 months later (wood :smash: ), it's still going strong. The company line is -- as long as there are no existing mechanical problems with the trans, a shift kit will actually extend its life.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:35 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

Justin, what time are you going to the track. I'll be out there (me and glutamine are from that area) working on my 4x4. we're gonna go and watch you race. ps, all the posts about reducing the life span of your tranny made me change my mind about putting a shift kit in my vette. I have 70k kms but I drive my tranny pretty hard, plus the 80 vette has some kind of "locker" torque converter, or so i read, and it has a semi hard shift as it is. The last thing i want is my tranny to explode on portage. oh well I'm sure it will anyways...
Old 07-11-2003, 02:33 AM
Justin79-L-82
Pro

Default Re: Shift Kit is in!!! (bloodvette80)

Well change of plans, I can't go saturday so i'm going sunday. I will probably be there by 9:30 or so then get the car ready there then be racing by around 1030. (i have to take the spare tire off, put on my slicks, get tech inspected etc)
High of 31 too. Yikes.
As for the life span of the tranny, from what I have heard, it actually extends the life of it because it takes the lag out between shifts, decreasing slippage of the clutches and bands due to slippage. So i think worst case senario, with a beat up tranny, it could make things worse yes, but if everything is working properly in the first place then it extends the trannys life.

Get notified of new replies

To Shift Kit is in!!!

Quick Reply: Shift Kit is in!!!