C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock intake manifold REFUSES to leave its home under the hood!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 11:11 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock intake manifold REFUSES to leave its home under the hood!!!

I finally got that nasty bolt under the carb off...

Now I can't get the intake manifold out. This thing is fused to its spot. I don't have a pry bar at hand but I did bang the crap out of it with a hammer and used a pickle fork where the T-stat lives and tried to pry it out and hammer at the pickle fork in hopes to dislodge the intake. This cast iron manifold has got to be heavy, but this is ridiculous! I heard of a guy cracking the manifold in half trying to remove it. How does one crack a cast iron manifold unless extreme measures were used. What did you guys do to remove a somewhat stuck manifold? I tried my best to soak the edges of the manifold with Pb blaster. Letting it sit now. I'm taking a break from the removal for now. I'll came back at it later. I hope I hear some good news from you guys! I really need some ideas.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:20 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Stock intake manifold REFUSES to leave its home under the hood!!! (Phoenix79)

It sounds obvious but make sure all 12 bolts have been removed, then tap a screwdriver between it and the head at the corners. The gradual taper on the screwdriver will act as a wedge to seperate the manifold from the head...
Old 07-10-2003, 05:47 AM
WPEDirect
Instructor

Default Re: Stock intake manifold REFUSES to leave its home under the hood!!! (Phoenix79)

Those things can really stick to the heads after 30 years... like yellow said, you need to drive a wedge of some sort between the intake and heads/lifter valley lip. Try not to screw up the mating surface - just work at it nice and easy and she'll come up. Good luck!

:smash: :smash: :smash: :( :cry :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :smash: :smash: :smash: :eek: :party:
Old 07-10-2003, 07:19 AM
drnerve
Instructor

Maybe start with a metal putty knife between the head ant the manifold. Once you have it in a bit, then use a screw driver between the manifold and the putty knife. LOL Pat
Old 07-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What did you guys do to remove a somewhat stuck manifold?
Make certain all bolts are out- then More Force.

Works every time.

:cool:
Old 07-10-2003, 09:40 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Make sure it's clear of the valve covers.......
Old 07-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: Stock intake manifold REFUSES to leave its home under the hood!!! (t

just hook up a chain
tie it to another car
and drive off!
i removed an entire engine like that.
neighbor felt sorry for me (i was 16) and gave me the hoist i still use to this day
Old 07-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Master Ho
Racer

Default Re: Stock intake manifold REFUSES to leave its home under the hood!!! (t (Matt Gruber)

Matt, that reminds me of the time I lay in the street, benchpressing the tranny into my 428 Mach I...just as a passing t-storm sent a wall of water down the street, washing away my handtools :banghead:
Old 07-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Weird Science
Instructor

You probably know this but make sure valve covers are off as well. I have seen the flanges on some covers pinch the manifold and hold it on. Try not to pry between mating surfaces unless everything else fails, then be very careful.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:37 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I have seen PB Blaster NOT work on is my Bubba epoxied fuel filter fitting on my carb. I think given enough time the Blaster will make the manifold JUMP off the block!

Also, you're skeering me man! I'm planning an cam upgrade on my 79 L48! Too many similarities! :eek: I can forsee the same problems. :sad:

Get notified of new replies

To Stock intake manifold REFUSES to leave its home under the hood!!!

Quick Reply: Stock intake manifold REFUSES to leave its home under the hood!!!