C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multi spark ignitions: Do they offer any performance gains in street machines? ie, MSD6A ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 02:20 PM
kjl1
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multi spark ignitions: Do they offer any performance gains in street machines? ie, MSD6A ?

I see these often in street vettes but never was sure if they really do much at lower RPMs. I know some timing lights will not work with them.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:52 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Multi spark ignitions: Do they .....

It all depends. For high compression,nitrous and blown engines it is very helpfull, in a normal engine - about all you will see is improved starting, idle, and sometimes throttle response. If you do see a benefit, it is most likely that its actually covering up for something else thats wrong.

By themselves, little to no performance improvement.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:51 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Multi spark ignitions: Do they ..... (fauxrs)

:iagree: A well tuned stock ignition on a stock motor will see no improvement. If big cams and nitrous or blowers are used a CD box will help improve it. I put one in and it starts much better and idles better. It also has a rev limiter which I have come up on many times so it might have saved a few parts along the way. A well built HEI unit is tough to beat though.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Multi spark ignitions: Do they offer any performance gains in street machines?

No performance gains? :confused: You guys must have forgot to install your stickers. :D

I just installed a Crane unit in my 89 Formula and I swear it now starts harder, with a MSD 6A in my vette along with ProBillet dist it starts immediately.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:29 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Multi spark ignitions: Do they offer any

ON a DPFI computer car you will never see any differance....

BUT on an older car with a rich carb at idle, yes, they help smooth out the engine and burn the fuel....

that's about it.....

OH, don't forget at about 3000 rpm's the extra 'sparks' disappear, so there is NO advantage at higher rpm's/power

GENE
Old 07-09-2003, 05:02 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Multi spark ignitions: Do they offer any (mrvette)

But the rev limiter is great insurance. :yesnod:
Old 07-09-2003, 05:14 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Multi spark ignitions: Do they offer any (tshort)

They work just fine with timing lights, BTW, I use my dial-back Craftsman all the time with my MSD 6AL. It does start much easier, idles smoother, great off-idle performance. In my case my distributor was somewhat worn so I replaced it with a Pro Billet MSD unit so high RPM performance is MUCH better as well. From what I understand most HEI units are about done around 4500 RPM. I have an Accel module, cap, rotor, and coil on my 454 Suburban and it pulls well to 5000 or so where the tranny shifts.
Jeff
Old 07-09-2003, 05:38 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

OH, don't forget at about 3000 rpm's the extra 'sparks' disappear, so there is NO advantage at higher rpm's/power

The extra spark disappers but the much hotter spark stays there. A points dist and stock coil cannot generate the spark that a CD box can at any rpm. If you are pumping in extra fuel or air (nitrous, blower or turbo) it can "blow" out the stock spark. With a CD ignition the spark is much more powerful. Mine never misses a beat to 7000+ rpm and I trigger my Crane HI6 box with a set of heavy duty points.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:40 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Multi spark ignitions: Do they ..... (fauxrs)

- about all you will see is improved starting, idle, and sometimes throttle response.

Gee, that's me.
:D

Terry
Old 07-10-2003, 11:12 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GENE
there are no extra sparks! - the only thing that is different is the duration of the spark which is something along the line of 20degrees of crankshaft rotation. Multispark is something of a misnomer.

Get notified of new replies

To Multi spark ignitions: Do they offer any performance gains in street machines? ie, MSD6A ?

Quick Reply: Multi spark ignitions: Do they offer any performance gains in street machines? ie, MSD6A ?