C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crane's new pointless conversion: Anyone try it yet? How about the IgnitorII?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 01:21 PM
kjl1
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crane's new pointless conversion: Anyone try it yet? How about the IgnitorII?

Just looking for some info.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:40 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Crane's new pointless conversion: Anyone try it yet? How about the IgnitorII? (kjl1)

Lars says it ain't worth it. None of 'em. In fact, he says he has a shelf full of electronic ignition replacements he's removed from cars over the years. 'Nuff said. :yesnod:
Old 07-09-2003, 01:56 PM
1LE
Drifting

Default Re: Crane's new pointless conversion: Anyone try it yet? How about the IgnitorII? (kjl1)

I installed the XR-i about a month ago. No complaints, idle is smooth, response is good. Lesson learned, much eaiser to do if the distributer is out. Its a pain in the butt to try to fish the two wires through the small gromet under the distributer while its in.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:57 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Crane's new pointless conversion: Anyone try it yet? How about the IgnitorII? (page62)

I tend like new stuff just because if the old stuff is so great why isn't it still being used? Not all new stuff is better but as far as I know no new cars run points anymore. :) One good thing about the crane pointless unit is it has a built in rev limiter which is a nice feature. Probably won't net you a single hp more so it is up to you.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:57 PM
1LE
Drifting

Just noticed this is your first post, Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Crane's new pointless conversion: Anyone try it yet? How about the IgnitorII? (page62)

Lars says it ain't worth it. None of 'em. In fact, he says he has a shelf full of electronic ignition replacements he's removed from cars over the years. 'Nuff said. :yesnod:
I am a firm believer that is why I bought a new Mallory Dual Point Distributor..After my Pertronix II Crapped out on me twice. I love the Mallory performance and looks are great as is the price
Old 07-09-2003, 02:28 PM
kjl1
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crane's new pointless conversion: Anyone try it yet? How about the IgnitorII? (1LE)

Thanks for the welcome, I am actually not a new member. I am registered on my parents computer in CT under KJL1 my home name in Atlanta is KJL. I am always impressed on how quickly new members are welcomed into the site. This forum has been my life-line to sanity during many an under hood excursion. Thanks to all!!
Old 07-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I won't argue w/Lars. I have used a Mallory Unilite w/great success! After 10 yrs it started crapping out. Found out the module was going bad. It is designed to go out gradually so as not to leave you stranded! New module solved the problem. JMHO
Rick
Old 07-09-2003, 02:41 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Crane's new pointless conversion: Anyone try it yet? How about the IgnitorII? (Taijutsu)

I won't argue w/Lars. I have used a Mallory Unilite w/great success! After 10 yrs it started crapping out. Found out the module was going bad. It is designed to go out gradually so as not to leave you stranded! New module solved the problem. JMHO
Rick
I had one go bad and it DID leave me stranded! :rant: :mad
Old 07-09-2003, 02:49 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Crane's new pointless conversion
If its "pointless" then why do it? . i mean whats the point. :lolg: :lolg:

sometimes I just kill myself. :lolg:
Old 07-09-2003, 03:06 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Crane's new pointless conversion: Anyone try it yet? How about the IgnitorII? (fauxrs)

:iagree: I get your point. :D :rofl:
Old 07-09-2003, 05:04 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Well being the points lover that I am, I have to admit that the other day when I was dynoing the newest version of my 540" motor, the points started bouncing pretty bad at about 6900 rpm/800 hp level!

I guess I should have at least looked at them before I went. They are a set of Accel's that are over 5 years old!

We dropped in another dist. with a conversion kit in it (not sure what kind) and it did allow it to rev freely past 7400 rpm which allowed more power to be measured of course!

I was thinking about a conversion kit......but maybe I'll cheek up and buy a new set of points first huh?

JIM

[Modified by 427Hotrod, 5:02 PM 7/9/2003]
Old 07-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Crane's new pointless conversion: Anyone try it yet? How about the IgnitorII? (427Hotrod)

Jim

Please stay in the C2 section, I get jealous everytime I see this in your sig:

And now with the new eng I am beside myself. :cry
Old 07-09-2003, 06:07 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Crane's new pointless conversion: Anyone try it yet? How about the IgnitorII? (Fevre)

Please...can I stay?????

You guys have more fun over here usually!!

I think I'm a little out of place over there sometimes!! :D

I'm not sure everyone appreciates how much fun you can actually have with a car after you wash and polish it! They don't have a lot of room in the back for a reason.....not much room for car show stuff and lawn chairs!!

And for real...my car has lots of matching numbers.....just many of them aren't made by Chevrolet!!

JIM
Old 07-10-2003, 09:47 AM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Crane's new pointless conversion: Anyone try it yet? How about the IgnitorII? (427Hotrod)

I installed the Mallory Unilite conversion. It smoothed out my idle and so far (3 years) has run perfect. I have a Penske meter to set dwell etc. and have no need for it any more.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:05 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Jim

Permission to stay granted. We C3ers are a nutty bunch aren't we? :jester
I think it is a great mix of young and old all with a passion for cars and having fun. :cheers:
Old 07-10-2003, 10:18 AM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

:iagree: Thats what Lars told me, sure enough the EI system failed and now I am back to good old reliable points. :D All I need is a bit more time. I thinks I just wrote my epitaph! :blueangel: :lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Crane's new pointless conversion: Anyone try it yet? How about the IgnitorII?

Quick Reply: Crane's new pointless conversion: Anyone try it yet? How about the IgnitorII?