C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage Air and TPI Update...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 11:58 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Vintage Air and TPI Update...

I finally made all of the connections for both the Vintage Air and the TPI so that I could at least test out the airflow.

All that I can say is that as long as the air coming out is cold when set to AC.... I'm a happy guy.

The air flow out of the Vintage Air is about 10 times more than the stock system and probably 5 times more than the stock system with the C4 blower motor and fan blade. It feels like a modern AC blower.

I still can't charge the AC because the TPI isn't done quite yet. I'm waiting on a EGR blockoff plate from Scorp. But, after that.... I should be able to get her running (with a bit of luck) over the weekend.

Then a little tuning, alignment, AC charge and exhaust adjustment and I am good to go. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel at least. :D:D:D:D:D
Old 07-09-2003, 07:48 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Vintage Air and TPI Update... (phoenix)

Sounds like you're almost there. Keep us posted on the Vintage Air install. I'm very interested because I'm going to need a new compressor and probably VIR assembly and I've been thinking of going the Vintage Air route. How did the install go. Did it require a lot of fabrication or was it basically a bolt in? I've had my heat/AC system out once to rebuild the box and I know that's no picnic but I'd be willing to go through it again if the AC performance made it worth while. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:30 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Vintage Air and TPI Update... (vettfixr)

Sounds like you're almost there. Keep us posted on the Vintage Air install. I'm very interested because I'm going to need a new compressor and probably VIR assembly and I've been thinking of going the Vintage Air route. How did the install go. Did it require a lot of fabrication or was it basically a bolt in? I've had my heat/AC system out once to rebuild the box and I know that's no picnic but I'd be willing to go through it again if the AC performance made it worth while. Inquiring minds want to know.
:iagree:

Does the Vintage Air system look stock???? How much $$$$$ is it?
Old 07-09-2003, 08:54 AM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Vintage Air and TPI Update... (theandies)

It's definitely not stock. The control panel is not even close, but I could have hidden it under the dash if I cared aboput stock look.

There was quite a bit of fabrication work to get it to fit.

I've told other people that if I were to do it again, I would have used the old air products or hot rod air systems. They both have setups that require little to no fabrication and they can modify the controls to look stock.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone that had used either of those systems to verify the quality or air output. I had several people tell me how great the VIntage air system was though.

Maybe there are others who have used old air or hot rod air in C3s now though. :)
Old 07-09-2003, 12:24 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Vintage Air and TPI Update... (phoenix)

I've told other people that if I were to do it again, I would have used the old air products or hot rod air systems. They both have setups that require little to no fabrication and they can modify the controls to look stock.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone that had used either of those systems to verify the quality or air output. I had several people tell me how great the VIntage air system was though.

Maybe there are others who have used old air or hot rod air in C3s now though. :)
I'm probably going to go with Old Air Products. After I remove everything, they'll let me borrow an empty evaporator box so I can decide how and where to mount the thing. I've already got a Sanden 508, mounting bracket and the VIR eliminator package . . . just need to find time for my car. :(

John, Old Air Products can make your stock controls work with their unit, they do it all the time, that's why I'm going to use their stuff vs Vintage Air.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Vintage Air and TPI Update... (74-Roadster)

Get that thing going. Your going to miss Summer... :jester
Old 07-09-2003, 05:37 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Vintage Air and TPI Update... (Budman78)

Get that thing going. Your going to miss Summer... :jester
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

My house will be in maintenance mode soon . . . I keep doing everything myself, too much of a tight wad to contract anything out! :lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air and TPI Update...

Quick Reply: Vintage Air and TPI Update...