C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a brake er brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 05:06 PM
hops
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a brake er brakes

ok heres the story I am out on a nice two lane top down, on my way to play golf the peddal starts to get soft. I check the fluid its fine must be air in the lines so I limp her home. I know not to smart,but what I hope you can help with is what to do now. I would like to restore the whole system ,but I am in a temp housing situation and have no room to do it my self.This means I have to take it somewhere ,so any helpful hints on trailering and the names of a few good shops would be great.Iam in southeastern wisconsin.One more question what do you think of Rchard Newton`s ideas in his book"how to restore & modify your corvette" Thanks for any help. Hops
Old 07-08-2003, 06:35 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: need a brake er brakes (hops)

You have a very common situation in C3s. When the rear rotors are not true and wobble, they pump air into the rear brake lines.

The best solution is to install calipers rebuilt with stainless steel liners and pistons with O rings. If $ is a challenge, do the rears only and install them yourself.

After installation, fill with new DOT 3 and bleed properly.

This should solve your problem.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:11 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: need a brake er brakes (hops)

Ditto on the o-ring SS calipers. Do it once and do it right. In my experience though I have had more issues with the front brakes developing leaks, rather than the rear. While you are at it I suggest a new master cylinder (not an Autozone rebuild) as well.

Get notified of new replies

To need a brake er brakes

Quick Reply: need a brake er brakes