C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 wiper door questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 09:34 AM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 69 wiper door questions

Can anyone explain how to adjust the height of the wiper door on my 69? Back when I bought the car, the passenger side rear corner (where the stainless steel trim clips to the door) was about a 1/4" higher than the driver side.

While preping for a new engine, I decided to pull the wiper door, sand down the mechanism, paint, replace shoulder bolts and all bushings. The door went back in fine, with both the wiper switch and door actuator aligned perfectly. Somehow the door is still sitting high on the right side.

I looked carefully to be sure that the problem is not the trim sitting high on the door at that corner. Clearly the door is high. Can this be fine tuned?

Interestingly, I also found that since the door and door grille were off the car for about 6 months, the grille seems to have sagged a bit and it no longer has the curve of the hood and wiper door.

Mark
Old 07-08-2003, 09:46 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: 69 wiper door questions (Burgandy 69)

If it's the same as my 71 then there are phillips head screws on either end with a jamb nut on them. These are the door stops. If you do adjust it make sure that the wiper motor switch on the passenger firewall is still properly adjusted also.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:33 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

There is a lot of play in the studs that hold the assembly to the firewall, so you can get the general fit correct, then adjust the stop screws (as mentioned).

Here's what I did. Three of the grille supports are part of the assembly - one (the inner one on the driver side) is screwed to the firewall separately. Loosen the nuts on the separate one (very loose). Attach the grille (properly - no spacers underneath) to the assembly and the separate support - but don't torque the screws as you will probably need to loosen them later for the front to back alignment. Loosen the bolts holding the assembly to the firewall on each end - just loose enough so you can move the assembly up/down/side with a little pressure. Now move the assembly around until the grille is at the right height and centered side to side (sides aligned with the hood sides). Once you are happy with the fit, tighten both ENDS. Now snug up the nuts that hold the "separate" support to the firewall (a little looose) then snug the screws attaching the grille to it. Put the wiper door down and see how it looks (the back of the door rests on the front of the grille - if the grille is too far toward the "cockpit", then the door might hit it - and you will need to move the grille back a little). If you are satisfied with everything (except the front to back clearance of the grille - that's next) tighten all of the nuts holding everything to the firewall. Now loosen the grille screws once again, adjust it for proper clearance all around and tighten everything up. Adjust the phillips head stop screws as necessary.

You should be all set. :thumbs:

[Modified by pws69, 10:37 AM 7/8/2003]
Old 07-08-2003, 01:41 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Check the wiper door articles here
http://www.corvettefaq.com/listing.asp?group=6

:seeya

Get notified of new replies

To 69 wiper door questions

Quick Reply: 69 wiper door questions