C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theft Horn

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 01:20 AM
azswede1960
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Theft Horn

I have a hot Orange wire running down LH fender in engine compartment from area of alternator towards Master brake cylinder, with no home!

I think it goes to the Theft Horn, can someone tell me where that SHOULD sitting on an 1980 ? I can't see if for the life of me........
Old 07-08-2003, 11:55 AM
no_radio
Drifting

Default Re: Theft Horn (azswede1960)

I think that is part of the AC?blower motor harness. I just removed that stuff from my car a few weeks ago and I seem to recall that the orange wire is the hot lead to the blower motor...could be wrong, but that's what I remember. My car is a '74.
Jeff
Old 07-08-2003, 12:51 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

That probably is your alarm horn. It is located on the inside of the drivers side fender. You can reach it from the top, there is a little tab on the side that the wire clips onto.........LT
Old 07-08-2003, 11:53 PM
azswede1960
Instructor

Default Re: Theft Horn (ltinnell)

Thanks - that was it.....Do you have any idea how to test the functionality of the theft system ?
Old 07-09-2003, 09:05 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Yes, leave your drivers window open and lock the door from the outside with the key and then turn the key to the left I believe, and this should set the alarm. Then you can open the door from the inside through the window and the alarm should activate. Its not real loud but you will hear it. Most of these dont work right anymore and that is why most folks leave that wire hanging loose. Hope this helps............LT
Old 07-09-2003, 11:31 AM
azswede1960
Instructor

Default Re: Theft Horn (ltinnell)

Thanks LT - will try it tonight......how would I shut it off if it does work??
Old 07-09-2003, 12:01 PM
johnnyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unlock the drivers door with the key. Thats how to deactivate it on my '79...JC
Old 07-09-2003, 05:01 PM
daves80
Racer

Default Re: Theft Horn (johnnyc)

the orange wire is constant hot - the alarm is triggered by a short to ground through a relay caused by the 5 switches -hood - 2 doors -2 ttops ( the pin that latches the ttop in the back is where the switch is it looks much like the door switch and adjusts by how deep the pin of the t top goes in -- you will see a screw driver slot and a groove on the pin that is suppose to be flush with the hole it goes into-- the drivers door key arms the system when locked -- you should hear the relay click next to the shifter - there is a standard turn signal relay just forward of the other relay - that causes the horn to pulse - it is a easy system to trouble shoot -first see if you can get the relay to click and we can go from there - dave
Old 07-09-2003, 06:26 PM
azswede1960
Instructor

Default Re: Theft Horn (daves80)

Dave- I will let you know if/how it works. Since you have same car....the wiring harness that feeds the A/C compressor also has another connector hanging in the wind......any idea where that belongs ?
Old 07-09-2003, 08:14 PM
azswede1960
Instructor

Ok - relay clicks when I turn key counter-clockwise. Then I open door from inside and nothing happens.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:06 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to start the car. If the anti-theft system is working properly then the car will not start due to the starter motor interlock. I figure if the car does start after setting the alarm then the sequencer module is fried...it's the brains of the system. I simply installed a new system myself when I found that mine didn't work. A nice Alpine alarm with impact sensor and pager system worked for me! If my ride gets into trouble it can page me. :)
Old 07-13-2003, 01:37 PM
daves80
Racer

Default Re: Theft Horn (Rockn-Roll)

sorry rock but you dont know what you are talking about - the 80 doesnt have a ignition interlock - - - ok - if it clicks when you arm it one of your switches is open - the horn should be honking - it will continue to run untill the door key is turned ccw - make sure all the switches are pressed in - does the dome light come on when you open the doors - if so the door switches are good - check the hood switch - on the firewall - it adjusts up and down - mine was bad - i stole a replacement from a 82 s-10 pass door - use a piece of dowwel to check the ttop swtich where the rear ttop pin goes in- they are just door switches too - at some point the relay will click open to the armed position - right now the horn should honk - if not test the horn 12v pos to the base - the connector is neg - mine was packed with crud - if the horn is good then check the flasher under the cover next to the driver seat - its a standard turn signal flasher - then check the relaly right behind it - its a standard gm relay - i replaced mine with a bosch relay (same wiring pattern)- i also put a aftermarket horn on mine its ALOT louder - it really is a simple system - 6 switches, a relay, a flasher, and the d tone horn - dont give up - keep me posted -oh yeah - i think that the extra wire to the ac bundle is for cooling fans -an option with the L-82 - it turned the fan on when the ac was on - dave
Old 07-13-2003, 05:09 PM
azswede1960
Instructor

Default Re: Theft Horn (daves80)

Thanks Dave - good stuff!!!! Right off the bat I found a bad hood switch.....replacement on the way. Will go through entire system as soon as it shows up following your instructions.

P.S under the center console there is another connector that doesn't have anything going to it, has 4 wires: 2 Yellows, 1 Black and one Gray, for the optional CB or something like that?

Get notified of new replies

To Theft Horn

Quick Reply: Theft Horn