C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! my insurance is screwing me!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 11:32 PM
1969c3mandy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! my insurance is screwing me!!

I need classic car insurance ASAP. Any suggestions...my insurance doesn't want to insure for true value after paint....

thanks in advance!!
Old 07-07-2003, 11:38 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Default Re: help! my insurance is screwing me!! (1969c3mandy)

I use Great American Classic Collectors Insurance. Stated value policy with limited use. It is like $165 per year.

http://www.gaic.com/classic.htm
Old 07-07-2003, 11:45 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Remember, classic/collector insurance has a lot of restrictions. If you can live with and follow the restrictions then Classic Insurance is great. Try these:

Hagerty
Grundy
Vintage Auto LLC
Leland West

tom...
Old 07-07-2003, 11:47 PM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: help! my insurance is screwing me!! (Tom73)

Remember, classic/collector insurance has a lot of restrictions. If you can live with and follow the restrictions then Classic Insurance is great.
:iagree: If you can't live with the restrictions, shop 'em, or try raising your deductable.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Drew M
Team Owner

Default Re: help! my insurance is screwing me!! (PatG)

I dont have a 'vette or a classic car or anything, but I really want a 'vette and being 17, I dont think I would be able to afford insurence. Actually, i know i wouldnt be able to. Being from the northeast, i couldnt drive it during the winter months anyways. So I was wondering this: is it possible to insure a car for only certain months, Example, since i wouldnt be able to drive it from early November - early March, could I insure it during the months of April - October? Im sure I'm not the only one here with this question....hopefully. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:58 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: help! my insurance is screwing me!! (THawkbh)

Drew,
A lot of those "up North" have "split" insurance. Full coverage during the summer driving months then drop the labiality during the winter no drive season. Still need some insurance while it is in storage in case of fire, theft, roof collapse, etc. By the way, most classic insurance requires ten years driving experience.

tom...
Old 07-08-2003, 02:08 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: help! my insurance is screwing me!! (PatG)

I use Great American Classic Collectors Insurance. Stated value policy with limited use. It is like $165 per year.

http://www.gaic.com/classic.htm
I hope you have an "Agreed value" policy, not a "stated value" (The website mentions agreed value). They are 2 different things. "Agreed" is what we want. Insurance companiy agrees on a figure, if your car is a total loss they pay that agreed amount. "Stated value" means something entirely different and you can end up arguing with your insurance company over how much they should pay. MJ
Old 07-08-2003, 01:51 PM
pra4sun
Racer

Default Re: help! my insurance is screwing me!! (MNJack)

Drew, I had full coverage during the summer months, then just comprehesive ("fire and theft") coverage the rest of the year. You can save major $$ by doing this. The best thing to do to help you decide is find a friendly insurance agent and run your plan by him. I bet that you will be surprised that insuring the Vette for the summer, and having a beater with no collision coverage for the winter will net out about the same $$ wise as a regular run-of-the-mill car would.

I just switched to classic car insurance with Hagerty. It's $175 per year with a $15000 agreed value, but I can't use the car to commute, it can't be my main car, and it has to be stored in a locked garage.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:58 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, and they don't even give you the common courtesy of a reach-a-round. I moved 2 miles from an apartment with no garage to a house with a garage and once they found out that a switched ZIP codes from 48198 to 48197 they jacked my insurance up on all my vehicles by 20%. :mad :bs

[Modified by Fevre, 1:03 PM 7/8/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To help! my insurance is screwing me!!

Quick Reply: help! my insurance is screwing me!!