C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumbles going up hills

Old 07-07-2003, 04:47 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stumbles going up hills

My 81 has been having problems going up hills lately. Everything's perfectly fine when I'm diving on level ground or going down hills, but when I get to any steep hills the car will start to sort of surge. There's this hill that I used to be able to go up at 85 without a problem, but now it has problems when I go more than 55.

I haven't done anything to the car lately and this has slowly been getting worse over the last 3 weeks.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:50 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Default Re: Stumbles going up hills (Ben Taylor)

Do you notice if it's not down shifting to a lower gear? If it's a steep hill it might need to down shift to build up power.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:59 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Stumbles going up hills (Tominator)

What kind of plugs are you using, it's usually a spark issue.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:04 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

My first question is when is the last time you replaced the fuel filter? Low fuel flow from a bad filter or a bad pump can do this.

Second is have you checked the backpressure on the catalytic converter? A plugged exhaust system will give you these problems.
If the converter is plugged it probably can be traced to a faulty O2 sensor letting too much fuel into the system. The un-burned fuel gums up the converter and can lead to a fire if bad enough.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Default Re: Stumbles going up hills (Tominator)

It's not downshifting, but it never had to downshift before. I used to be able to go up this hill at the same speed as the level straightaway right before it without having to give it any more throttle.

I thought it might be bad plugs to, so I got some new Accel header plugs, but there wasn't any change. The old plugs were AC Delco plugs, and they were all dry and tan colored.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:21 PM
Tominator
Drifting

It's not downshifting, but it never had to downshift before. I used to be able to go up this hill at the same speed as the level straightaway right before it without having to give it any more throttle.

I thought it might be bad plugs to, so I got some new Accel header plugs, but there wasn't any change. The old plugs were AC Delco plugs, and they were all dry and tan colored.
Well at least we're starting to narrow it down some, BSERRY has some good ideas to try.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Default Re: Stumbles going up hills (BSeery)

I replaced the fuel filter about a year ago. I just replaced my rubber fuel lines at the pump on saturday because one was leaking if that makes any difference.

How would I go about checking my backpressure? I put a new O2 sensor and catalytic converter in about a year ago also. Should I try taking the cat off and driving around?
Old 07-07-2003, 06:32 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

I replaced the fuel filter about a year ago. I just replaced my rubber fuel lines at the pump on saturday because one was leaking if that makes any difference.
Did you have problems before changing fuel lines or after. If after, you could have a plugged fuel filter. The best bet would be to get a fuel pressure gage and mount it in a way that you could watch it as you go up the hill. See if it can maintain at least 5-6 psi all the way up.

To test backpressure on the cat. You need to drill a hole before and after the cat in the exhaust pipe. Go out and drive and get it all nice and warmed up. Then while idling put a hose over the hole and check the pressure before and after the cat. Reading should be the same. if you can take it off and have a straight pipe, that's an easier test. Plug the holes with a welder or if made small enough you can use pop-rivets.

Usually problems like this are due to not getting enough fuel in, or not being able to get the exhaust out. I had a car that ran fine at idle, stop and go, downhill -- but it wouldn't climb a hill to save it's life. It was a fuel pump. Just wouldn't give me enough flow to feed the engine.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

:iagree:
also a lot of c3's don't open fully floored. throttle needs to be adjusted

[Modified by Matt Gruber, 7:05 PM 7/7/2003]
Old 07-07-2003, 08:01 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

The problems started before I changed the fuel lines.

I didn't have a pipe to go in place of the cat, so I just ran it without anything there, and I was able to go a little bit faster up the hill before it started shaking, and the shaking wasn't nearly as bad.

Since this has the original fuel pump, I'll try replacing that tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Bill 81 F
Cruising

Ben: I also have an 81, but had a similar problem with a Pontiac Bonneville SSEI (supercharged 3800) a few years ago. I had new plugs in it so I didn't suspect them until I read a little more in the shop manual. It turns out I had a crack in the porcelain in one of the plugs. After replacing it, the problem went away. Also on the list was plug wires and vacume leaks. Let us know how you make out. I'm still on my original fuel pump w/50k.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:37 AM
Trevelisek
Advanced

I had this exact same problem a couple of weeks ago after replacing the fuel pump on my 78 L-48.

With me, it was because there was a kink in one of the rubber fuel lines I had just installed (it was too long, and was kinking instead of curving).

I shortened the line a bit, and reinstalled it so it curved smoothly without kinking, and I have not had the problem since.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:54 AM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

if i were you, i would replace the fuel pump anyways....make sure there are no kinks in the fuel lines you installed :thumbs:
Old 07-11-2003, 03:44 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Any updates ???
Old 07-12-2003, 03:22 AM
Ben Taylor
Pro

While I had the car up in the air I decided to replace some leaking gaskets and things. I finally got it back together tonight and took it for a test drive.

The car is back to normal after the new fuel pump, hills are no longer a problem, thanks for the help guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Stumbles going up hills

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stumbles going up hills