C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Spot/'Bog' Eliminated with Richer Secondary Metering Rods

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 12:03 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Flat Spot/'Bog' Eliminated with Richer Secondary Metering Rods

All,

Wanted to let you know that I have since resolved my flat spot/bog under acceleration. I had installed leaner 'DR' secondary metering rods in my q-jet. I have since switched back to my 'DA' rods. Problem solved. When I changed to the 'DR's I also installed the 8mm Taylor spiro pro spark plug wires, MSD 2-wire separators, and the 2.5" cross-over in the exhaust just rear of the trans cross-member. Lars advised that the addition of the cross-over pipe may have made things a little too lean. The day I returned to FL, I replaced the metering rods and fired the old girl up. Have driven it that way for the past four days and no bog whatsoever.

Life is good!!! :seeya
Old 07-07-2003, 12:35 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Flat Spot/'Bog' Eliminated with Richer Secondary Metering Rods (TedH)

wow, I didn't think a crossover pipe could make that much difference. Thanks for sharing that!
Old 07-07-2003, 01:41 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Flat Spot/'Bog' Eliminated with Richer Secondary Metering Rods (isosceles)

It probably really depends on how lean you already are when adding cross-over pipe (and how lean I already was with the 'DA' rods). I probably went 'a step too far' with the 'DR' rods considering the combination with both better spark (assuming that also improved) and better tune/flow out of the exhausts.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:30 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Flat Spot/'Bog' Eliminated with Richer Secondary Metering Rods (isosceles)

I got the idea for the cross-over from Smokey Yunich's "Power Secrets" book. The benefit is most realized when you start with a set of true duals that are negatively impacting the scavenging of exhaust gases (ie. reducing the benefit of the headers). The crossover improves the scavenging by balancing the exhaust 'pulses'.

Big bonus was that the crossover was just $50 welded in by the shop that installed my duals. It was an easy 30-minute installation. :seeya

BTW, I'm headed to the tuner this Friday for another set of dyno pulls to see if performance has improved with the crossover and spark plug wires. Am hopeful... :seeya
Old 07-08-2003, 09:38 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Flat Spot/'Bog' Eliminated with Richer Secondary Metering Rods (TedH)

cool. I might have to get one of those, but my whole exhaust needs replacing. While I don't have any holes in the pipes yet, they are pretty rusty and I can see the need soon.
Good work on the Q-jet tuning. I haven't messed with my secondaries yet, but they seem to pull strong. It was my primaries that were way too lean.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:53 PM
adam
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome back Ted!

Show us a picture the girls undersides :D
The exhaust setup I mean...

Old 07-08-2003, 07:11 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Flat Spot/'Bog' Eliminated with Richer Secondary Metering Rods (adam)

Adam,

I left the camera in OH with the C5 (luggage limits). Will take some pics once I return (with C5 AND camera) later in Aug '03.

I think the muffler shop could have done a better job of running the pipes back from the headers (essentiall ran them straight back to the rear where they bend 90 degrees to go to the mufflers). I would have preferred they 'tuck' the pipes in some along the driveshaft; allowing the pipes to pass directly below the differential. Although, with this routing, the pipes are not close together right under the center of the diff and are instead out near where the struts connect to the steel bracket on the diff; so less chance of 'percolating' the diff lubricant. Overall, I am very happy with the results; just not as sexy as underbody exhaust routing can be.

[Modified by TedH, 7:15 PM 7/8/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Flat Spot/'Bog' Eliminated with Richer Secondary Metering Rods

Quick Reply: Flat Spot/'Bog' Eliminated with Richer Secondary Metering Rods