C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinkering Again...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 11:52 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Tinkering Again...

After spending June with the C5 in VA and OH, I have returned for a few short weeks of r&r with the C3 in FL. Had the occasion to adjust my right rear strut rod. It had come 'loose' at the jam nuts and appeared to be adding negative camber gradually (tire had tilted in at the top). About 15 minutes of adjustment and rolling of the car in and out of the garage has the tire very close to the '.25" of tire 'tilt in' that approximates the recommended camber adjustment form VB&P (negative 4-5% as I recall).

I just measure at the wheel rim; top-to-bottom using a 15" length of 2x4 to which a small level is taped with electrical tape. With the bubble 'level' in the level, I have just under a quarter inch between the top of the rim and my 2x4. Works like a charm every time.

Before, the wheel-to-2x4 gap was just over a half inch; needed adjusting...

What I found interesting was that with the adjustment to the right tire, the left rear tire isn't leaning so far in anymore. I suspect that the adjustment in 'geometry' on the right rear, helped 'correct' some of the left rear. Or, I may just be seeing things... Anyway, both are within the tolerances set forth by VB&P so I'm happy. :seeya
Old 07-08-2003, 03:14 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Tinkering Again... (TedH)

I used a builders square when I set mine... Works the same as your 2X4. Sure helps the handling after you set it.... :thumbs:

Quick Reply: Tinkering Again...