C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tell us your embarassing corvette story.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 10:43 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tell us your embarassing corvette story.

pulling into a parking lot full of people staring, as I parked, tried to put tranny into neutral while still rolling, accidentally put it into Reverse, loud grinding noise, the car bucked, and the engine stalled. Don't you wish the seats had more clearance under them so you could just crawl under your seat and die there.

Can anyone beat that???
Old 07-07-2003, 10:58 AM
Hobbes Blk '80
Instructor

Default Re: tell us your embarassing corvette story. (bloodvette80)

I haven't done anything particularly stupid in my new vette... but I parked my last one under an expedition... that was pretty unintelligent. :nonod:

Wait... ! I was at Tim Horton's one time and had just gone through the drive thru, and had a nice large cold Ice Cap.. and I was moving my hand to turn on the signal light, like, reaching across with my right arm and I like intercepted the Tim Horton's employee's hand, knocked the icecap out of it.. and got the entire interior of my vette covered in creamy beverage :withstupid:

[Modified by Hobbes Blk '80, 4:05 PM 7/7/2003]
Old 07-07-2003, 11:14 AM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Broken down on the side of a 4 lane highway, guy in a Didge pickup rolls by and yells out "Thats what you get for buyin a Chev!"
Old 07-07-2003, 11:21 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 742 Likes on 519 Posts

Default Re: tell us your embarassing corvette story. (Boofers)

I was leaving work on night and my co-workers were leaving at the same time, 1 had a 98 Camaro SS and the other was in a rental Grand Am. Of course we had a little fun but my exhaust donut on the passenger side blew out at high RPM's and I thought I broke something really seriously. My friend in the Grand Am was next to me and just started laughing. My car sounded like an old dump truck. :smash:
Old 07-07-2003, 11:31 AM
Glutamine83
Racer

Default Re: tell us your embarassing corvette story. (theandies)

was doing a U-Turn on a popular cruise strip, and hammered the gas
the rear end went super squirrely and I missed a new mustang coming out of a parking lot by inches

left my tops off and it rained

drove around for half an hour with the gas lid up

Old 07-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

Well, my car's handling used to be REALLY squirrely before I had the suspension rebuilt.......So, I'm on my way to work, and I stop at a stop sign. This other guy doesn't stop, and rolls thru his stop sign....well, I coulda just let him go in front of me, but noooooo!! I figure, hey, I've got some power.....I'll just scoot in front of him. So I hit the gas, and get in front of him, but my car starts fishtailing!!!! :eek: I correct, and correct, and correct, then I decide......ahhhh, forget it, and I let the car loop around in a 180. So, here I am, stopped on the street, facing traffic, cars passing me on both sides, and they're all looking at me like "YOU MORON!!!". :bb :bb Fortunately, I didn't hit anything, and nothing was damaged except my pride....so, I turned the car around, and slinked off to work....VERY embarassing!!!!
Old 07-07-2003, 11:46 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

When I brought it home it was not running so I was trying to pull it into the garage with my riding lawn mower. The mower is spinning the tires trying to pull it in, smoke, the whole works. I figured, man, this must be a heavy car! But when I walk around to the front of the vette I saw that I had forgot to close the driver's side door and it is caught on the outer edge of the garage door. :conehead

Good thing my mower is only 12hp otherwise it might have caused some serious damage to the vette's door! :eek:
Old 07-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Hobbes Blk '80
Instructor

Default Re: tell us your embarassing corvette story. (Glutamine83)

Youve had a few exciting rides in that vette of yours hey Glut?!

Maybe its time you consider a harness.... :thumbs:
Old 07-07-2003, 11:59 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Pulled up to the last stop of a long cruise, that I organized, and the engine lets out a "BANG!!" and a wheeze from the carb. It desides to do a little run-on and backfires again.

I didn't even open the hood. An hour later the car was running totally crappy for the 1.5 mile ride home. I get it in the garage and open the hood to find out the backfire blew off 2 vacuum caps and a hose.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:00 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: tell us your embarassing corvette story. (Hobbes Blk '80)

I'm buying glutamine a helmet for his next birthday. If 1979 corvettes came with airbags, I know he'd live a lot longer. How many times has your throttle been stuck at wide open throttle, is it 3 now. I have to hand it to him though he successfully completes 98% of his fishtails around corners, its the 2% when the car almost bounces off the curb and ends up perpendicular to traffic (jsut like me last night) that makes corvetting so fun. I wont tell the story when we both were on our 2% run. I guess it was a little wet out but we gave corvettes a bad name that time. all you see is 2 corvettes completely out of control sliding backwards down a 4 lane. :lolg:
Old 07-07-2003, 12:03 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

was doing a U-Turn on a popular cruise strip, and hammered the gas
the rear end went super squirrely and I missed a new mustang coming out of a parking lot by inches
I pulled out of the car show here and the vision to one side is really limited by some bushes that grow in the median to the right. So, I stepped on it a bit. Well at the intersection the pavement turns to bricks and the back end swung out and tires went up in smoke as I am watching for traffic coming from the right. Luckily there was none from the right, but a police car just came in from the street on the left and he drove through my smoke cloud.

I hung another left and got to the on-ramp in record time.

left my tops off and it rained
I found out how to make it rain in Arizona. Leave the tops home for a drive down to the parts store.

drove around for half an hour with the gas lid up
That's a speed brake, you have to turn that off before getting on the interstate. Mine retracts with a very loud THUNK once up to speed if I forget to put it down. First time I thought I blew a u-joint as I was performance testing down an on-ramp when it happened.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:07 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

My previous 79 had a 406 with evrything you can think of on it. Well it got away from me one night, went onto the sidewalk, up the lawn and stairs and crashed into the brick house. Needless to say the poor thing was totalled, and I had had it 5 days short of a year ( I had purchased it in Bloomington). Went to Bloomington again and bought another 79 (with 13 stitches in my lip this time). The only thing that has happened to this one was a double bladed axe fell off the wall putting a huge gash in the passengers door......LT :banghead: :banghead: :_dupe:
Old 07-07-2003, 12:26 PM
SuperFast80
Race Director

Default Re: tell us your embarassing corvette story. (ltinnell)

:lol:
Old 07-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Glutamine83
Racer

isn't it threads like these that make us all want to admit each other into a "Special Needs" home

bloodvette put on a show the other day as he came out of a u-turn sideways, and was watching an oncoming truck about to hit him, he pulled out of the slide in time and laid rubber to avoid a collision...........i pursued at WOT
Old 07-07-2003, 12:29 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

Yea I'm lucky that theres some good drivers out there to look out for me!

-One time I was paying attention to my stereo more than the road. a family of ducks crossed in front of me and when i saw them it was too late. the front spoiler is pretty low. so.... lets just say between the beheading (spoiler), the feather removal (tire) and roasting (sidepipes) I could have pulled over for chicken delight. that should be a new jingle "I feel like chicken tonight.. like chicken tonight!" then the sound of 7000 RPM and squeeling tires.

[Modified by bloodvette80, 5:32 PM 7/7/2003]
Old 07-07-2003, 12:43 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

back when my car was bone stock, i was cruising the local strip with a beefy friend of mine. I come to a stop light and this Saturn pulls up next to me. I glance over at him and revs his engine. Thinking nothing of it i just ease into it while he dumps the clutch and goes for it. i decide F it, and went after him. by the time i got into 3rd gear he was still ahead of me and it was obvious i wasnt catching up. i quickly got on the highway, headed home and did an intake and carb swap... :bb

I stayed away from that place for a good 3 months after that incident :lol:
Old 07-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Last year, I was leaving a wedding reception at the fairgrounds. There were lot’s of 16 to 19 years old hanging out by the exit, and they started egging me on. I couldn’t help it and hammered down. There was a little gravel on the road and I lost it. Spun a dognut, slid into a wide ditch, and before I could stop, I stretched a chain link fence about 5’. My car carries the scar still today.

Dayum kids…..er……..maybe it’s my own fault. :jester

Get notified of new replies

To tell us your embarassing corvette story.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:47 PM
Koz

I got one that I hate..

I just got the carb rebuilt, I installed it and I was driving back down to the garage to get it tuned.. I stopped at the light. It's a two lane road on either side of the light but about 100 feet on the other side of the light it merges into a one lane road. A car load of girls pulled up next to me in an old Chev. hatch back. The driver looked over and smiled and reved her engine. I just smiled and did the same and inched forward.. the girls in the back were egging her on.. the light changed and I let off the clutch easy, she nailed her car and we were even when I stomped on it.. my car bucked, caughed and just about died.. They were chearing and laughing as they pulled in front of me before the merge. I just limped my way to the garage about 1/4 mile up the road.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Calm Screamer2
Racer

So I'm cruzin' on the freeway heading home after a long day of fishing with a friend...doing the normal 60mph. I turn up the off ramp and stop behind a large truck at the light. I start smelling something bad, and then I see a lot of smoke. My car is suddenly engulfed in a smog cloud. I thinks to myself "Man that truck is putting out a lot a smoke". I look to the left and notice a couple of girls in the car next to me smiling. It was then I realized I was the one who was smoking. I limped the next three blocks to the house. It turned out to be a serious tranny leak :eek:.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Raced a Suzuki GSX1000 in my '81 and got smoked.

Quick Reply: tell us your embarassing corvette story.