C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint job / ready to tear my hair out (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 09:38 AM
KWIL
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default paint job / ready to tear my hair out (long post)

Greetings all.

I finally got some pics to share w/ everyone. I have a few pictures at picturetrail.com (member name bhblue80), in case this doesnt work. http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...33&uid=1258562

Now to the story.
In February, after visiting several local paint shops, I took my Vette to Performance Body and Paint (PBP) in San Antonio, TX. I was quoted a price of $3,000 for paint, if I stripped the car myself of all emblems, trim, lights, locks, etc. I was quoted $2,200 for the same job by a place just down the street, but PBP told me they would strip the car to fiberglass, and guarantee the bodywork and paint for life.

In April, I finally got the car back from them (I guess they ran into some extra work, because my bill came to $3250.00.) To my horror, they got overspray on my brand new seat covers, steering wheel and column. They also scratched my brand new tint on the drivers and passengers window, chipped a rear interior panel, broke clips to the power door locks, broke the dome light housing, and a few other things that I cant remember right now.

The paint itsself looked pretty good, but there were several spots that needed to be sanded down and buffed, and some areas where their repairs were showing thought the paint (minor glass work). When I picked up the car, I was told that the paint needed to cure for a month before they did anymore work on it, so a month later I took it back. At this time I was also informed that the did guaranteed body work for life on all cars except Corvettes because they were fiberglass. Needless to say, I was upset because I was lied to. Oh, did I mention that they did NOT strip the paint to bare fiberglass like they told me they would, they just sanded as usual and sprayed.

At this point, I was tired of being lied to, and asked to speak to the owner. Several days later, the CEO of PBP, Anthony Ramirez, met with me and looked at my car. He agreed to pay for the tint and other things that his shop damaged, and to repair the problem areas in the paint. At last, some relief. He was the first, and only to date, professional person I have dealt with at that shop.

So at the end of May, I took it back. I was told the car would be ready in one week- two at the most. After numerous unreturned phone calls and several in person trips to the shop, they told me it was ready on July 3rd.

The first thing I noticed when I picked it up, was that the wipers did not work and were stuck in the up position (you can sort of make that out in the above pic I think.) In January, I put a new wiper motor, switch, and wiper delay module in this car and finally got the wipers working. My guess is that they removed the wiper arms to get the cover out of the way so the could paint under the hood. Apparently, they could not get the arms back on right (they were about half way pressed on). Then, I believe that they turned the wipers on for some reason and the wipers got stuck, and burned out the motor.

I found cigarette ashes and butts in my car, overspray on the parking lights that I took out, refinished, and put back in April, the stainless steel trim screws that I used on all trim was replaced with cheap trim screws, and my digital gas gauge read 01%. When I brough it to them, it read 58%. How in the heck did they use over a half a tank of gas moving the car from a spray booth to the parking lot?

Overall the paint looks good now except for a few small spots where there is missing clearcoat and some sort of chemical reaction.

There is more, but this post is already too long. In summary, the car is still not done, they have had it for about 4 to 5 months total, and everytime I bring it back to them, they destroy something else on my car. I am afraid to bring it back there.

Corvette Forum, what should I do?
Kevin

Old 07-07-2003, 09:47 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: paint job / ready to tear my hair out (bhblue80)

The paint looks pretty good in the pictures...They should of course fix what they broke :mad ....Sometimes Painters can be the toughest to deal with.

[Modified by Alwyn678, 9:47 AM 7/7/2003]
Old 07-07-2003, 09:48 AM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I am sorry to hear about all your problems. I will not be visiting that shop for anything as we are in the same city. I would consider contacting a lawyer if they do not refund a majority of your money, that kind of crap is totally unacceptable. The owner is probably trying to do you right but has a bunch of jackasses working for him. I shudder everytime I have take not only the Vette, but any of my vehicles to someone for service. The level of service and care is an absolute joke these days. I hope it all turns out well for you and best of luck.

CVT4ME
Old 07-07-2003, 09:53 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like these guys don't give a crap about you or your Corvette, I always talk to the owner and tell them I don't want anyone to drive the car, even did that when I got the clutch replaced, then I put a yellow sticky on the speedo glass with the mileage and gas gauge readings. Nothing p isses you off more than seeing your car fly by you at 100MPH with some idiot employee behind the wheel.

My advice is to keep taking it back until they get it right, don't be too pushy at first and let them fix everything, be as freindly and firm as possible and only talk to the owner.

At some point he is going to say that's enough and figure he has lost enough fixing it and he will tell you to take him to court, but you want to get as much as possible fixed before then. :D
Old 07-07-2003, 10:31 AM
Hobbes Blk '80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: paint job / ready to tear my hair out (MotorHead)

Yeah... you know what you should do, I think...

Go talk to that Anthony guy, or whoever was good to you about the problems you have experienced with your vette... Tell him how much cash you want, and that you are NOT bringing your car back to their shop because that would be risking all of their lives. :blueangel:

Put him in a position to cut you a nice severence cheque, take your car home and fix all the small things they toasted in your car.... after you get paid off, I'd make a personal trip back to that shop... make a big scene in front of someone getting a quote on a paintjob...

"THESE FRICKEN MORONS COULDNT PAINT THE FENCE ON MY DECK!!! FRICKEN IDIOTS RUINED MY CLASSIC CAR!! ITS A CLASSIC!!! RUINED!!" :lolg: :lol:
Old 07-07-2003, 11:00 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: paint job / ready to tear my hair out (Hobbes Blk '80)

makes you want to punch those guys in the nose. :boxing
Old 07-07-2003, 04:57 PM
KWIL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Re: paint job / ready to tear my hair out (bloodvette80)

So would you guys actually take the car back to them? If the owner was personally going to fix it, I would leave it with him. Unfortunately, he owns a chain of Performance Body and Paint shops in San Antonio (about 3 or 4 I think), and he is hard to track down as well. He said he has owned many Corvettes in the past and, if I remember right, currently owns one. Perhaps he is a CF member?

I dont think I would take it there again unless I stood there and watched them while they fixed it. (seeing as how they took almost five months to date, I dont think thats practical.)

Should I take it to another shop, have them repair it, then send him the bill?
If I have to do that, thats 3 different shops- paint, window tint, and wiper motor. What a pain that would be- might have no choice though.

Any other ideas or thoughts are welcome.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:10 PM
Koz

I think you'll have to go back to the same shop. You have to give them a chance to repair what they mess up before going someplace else and expecting them to pay for it.
I would leave messages for the owner again.. Explain to him all that's happening and ask him for suggestions.. Maybe he will tell you to take it to one of his other shops where he has better workers..
I would keep going back until your satisfied and keep a record of each trip. If it ever winds up in court you'll wish you did. If the owner starts giving you a hard time you could always mention the BBB and small claims court to him. If he's got any reputation he'll do you right.. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2003, 06:49 PM
drnerve
Instructor

You can never regret something you didn't say. My car has been in a body shop since Feb 1st also. I had the exterior media blasted to bare glass. It was supposed to be a one month job, I was even told last week it was ready to go on July 3rd. Still not together yet! You need to talk to the man in charge. If I have had any concerns, I always adress them to him, and it gets taken care of immediately. Your payment may be contestable if you put it on plastic. I would call your creditcard co. to findout, but do not contest it until you give the owner a reasonable amount of time to return the call you make to him tomorrow. You need to play nice with him to get any satisfaction without putting yourself out. A lawyer is not free, and if you take it somewhere else, they'll laugh at you and say sue me. Good luck, let calmer heads prevail, if you need to rant, we'll listen, LOL Pat
Old 07-07-2003, 07:33 PM
Marc80
Racer

I feel for you since I have been waiting on my body/paint job since Jan 3. Although I am getting anxious at this point, I still am hoping they live up to their reputation ....I just assumed their good reputation included reasonable delivery time.

Someone above has the situation pegged. The owner may care a bit but he has low quality employees. It is not easy in the paint trade. The trade does not attract geniuses (not to say there aren't some) and the chemicals are tough on the brains of anyone ignorant enough to ignore protective gear ...as many uneducated macho guys do. This is especially a problem with certain chemicals or repeated use.

With regards to your problem I would suggest that you consult with a lawyer. A consultation should cost nothing and will give you a good evaluation of your situation. You certainly deserve some compensation!

I really hope it works out ...you must be really disappointed.

Marc
Old 07-07-2003, 07:34 PM
Marc80
Racer

Nice car, by the way! I like the color and the sidepipes.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:03 AM
KWIL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Re: paint job / ready to tear my hair out (Marc80)

Thanks for the compliment, Marc.

I believe what I will do now is put the ball in his court and give him a chance to make things right. I guess I will send him a letter detailing the problems and my proposed solutions.

I would think that all of the hassle I have been through with them (including taking lots of annual leave from work to go to check on/ pick up/ return the car), and the actual damage that his incompetent workers created would be worth some compensation. He seemed to genuinely care about his work and his shops' reputation. I hope that is the case. I will let you guys know how this turns out.

Get notified of new replies

To paint job / ready to tear my hair out (long post)

Quick Reply: paint job / ready to tear my hair out (long post)