C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sooo, we're cruising down the Pa. Turnpike, when.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 12:05 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Sooo, we're cruising down the Pa. Turnpike, when.....

I decided I'd take my girlfriend on a nice drive today, in the Vette, from East of Pittsburgh, to Quaker City Raceway (in Salem, Oh.), where I used to drag-race years ago. The weather-babe on 'ACCU-GUESS' weather says 85* and sunny, not a cloud in the sky. I take-off the T-tops, and we hit the road, fighting people heading home from the holiday weekend on the Pike, West-bound. :steering: Near the Ohio-line, we hit the God-awfulest cloud-burst, @ 60+ MPH! I'm stuck in traffic, with NOWHERE to pull over (I can't even get outta the hammer-lane!) and put the T-tops back on!!! Down the Pike we go, people looking at us like we're :crazy: , rain-water POURING in on us! With-in 45 seconds, I'm soaked!!! There was no shoulder to pull-off onto, and the Pa. Pike is, OF COURSE, under re-construction! :rolleyes: It rained for 15 minutes like that, my girlfriend :lolg: her azz off! Just as soon as it hit, the sun came back out, and it was like it never rained a drop! :banghead: Now, for my question; everything in the cockpit SEEMS to be A-OK, but at 22+ years of age, I'm worried the switches (power doors, windows, mirrors, etc.) could have gotten water in them. Anybody got any helpful hints on making SURE everything is OK (keep your smart-aleck comments about Noah & his Ark to yourselves!!! :jester )?
Old 07-07-2003, 12:20 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Sooo, we're cruising down the Pa. Turnpike, when..... (Glensgages)

Load em up 2 by 2!!!! :D J/K. Take the tops back off, disconnect the battery and let her air out. Your tops leak that bad, how do you wash it??? I can maybe help you get your tops to seal better. Not submersable but better than some.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:50 AM
tersian
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sooo, we're cruising down the Pa. Turnpike, when..... (LAvetteman)

I would leave the tops off and let it sit out in the sun a bit. The sun will dry out the cockpit and evaporate water that has made it's way into places it shouldn't be. Definately don't button it up that way, you will have serious mildew problems. Let it air out as much as possible.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:11 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Sooo, we're cruising down the Pa. Turnpike, when..... (LAvetteman)

Load em up 2 by 2!!!! :D J/K. Take the tops back off, disconnect the battery and let her air out. Your tops leak that bad, how do you wash it??? I can maybe help you get your tops to seal better. Not submersable but better than some.
He never got a chance to put them on.. :smash:
Old 07-07-2003, 03:01 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Sooo, we're cruising down the Pa. Turnpike, when..... (Corzvette69)

You asked for it.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I agree with what was said above, let it air out...
Unless you turned the hose on, and aimed it at the interior, it's hard to mess anything up.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:47 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I think a good practice in those situtations if to allways remove the seats and carpeting, and pull out all the wet insulation, and let it all dry in the sun or at least under cover for a week....
especially if you have metal floorboards....soaking under there say with rubber mats and fiber padding promotes rust like you can't beleive...

GENE
Old 07-07-2003, 07:05 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Default Re: Sooo, we're cruising down the Pa. Turnpike, when..... (Desertdawg)

Does that come with chromed wheels? :jester By the time we arrived at Quaker City Raceway, it was in the mid-80s again, and everything SEEMED to be drying-out (I, on the other hand, was still damp AFTER we got back, some THREE HOURS LATER! in mid-deluge, I glanced in the mirror; my hair was all 'spiked-up' and 'slicked-back'. I looked like a cross between a CLASH video from the '80s, and a porcupine in mid-orgasm. Maybe THAT is why everybody on the Pike laughed at us!). The carpets weren't even damp, and the leather seats & door-panels looked unfazed. What concerned me was water dripping off the 'spine' onto the console (power mirror & windows switches), or running down the doors (power locks/alarm switches). I brought it home, pulled everything from the rear cargo area, and have let it sit in my heated garage. What a freakin' day.......
Old 07-07-2003, 08:03 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

If you'd had driven into Ohio and waited another 5 minutes, it'd probably had stopped raining. In Ohio, on the radio they say rain when the sun is shining, and "sunshine" when it's raining :crazy:
Old 07-07-2003, 09:09 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Default Re: Sooo, we're cruising down the Pa. Turnpike, when..... (Paul Borowski)

If you'd had driven into Ohio and waited another 5 minutes, it'd probably had stopped raining. In Ohio, on the radio they say rain when the sun is shining, and "sunshine" when it's raining :crazy:
Upon my arrival at home, my neighbors had their pooch in the yard, and said, "That was SOME kinda rain we had, huh? Why aren't your T-tops on?" I'd bought my '82 from the lady who lived across the street from me. Unfortunately, she passed away last November (cancer), but she'da kicked my azz (she was under-cover State Trooper!) if she'd seen her ol' Corvette in the rain. It musta rained hard here; there are STILL puddles along the road-side.....
Old 07-07-2003, 09:16 AM
Master Ho
Racer

Well, I guess you can't say "It's never been rained *in*..." :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Sooo, we're cruising down the Pa. Turnpike, when.....

Quick Reply: Sooo, we're cruising down the Pa. Turnpike, when.....