C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights pop up now, finally. ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 11:42 PM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Headlights pop up now, finally. ?

I finally got my headlights to pop up on there own. I just replaced the actuator seals and dust boots last night. Now I have to adjust the eyelet on the driver-side headlight door, it sinks down too far. But they work none the less.

I have realized though, that I cannot open then as soon as I start the car, or the left one will raise, and then the right one. If I let it sit and run for like 2 min (and build up vacuum) then they will both raise at the same time (almost).

This is my question. Does everybody else's headlights come up at the same time? Or does one beat the other one to locked position? My passenger headlight locks before my driver-side. Is there any way somebody can post a video?
Old 07-07-2003, 12:00 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Headlights pop up now, finally. ? (jonny4523)

My guess is that you still have a vacuum leak somewhere in the system.
Do a search in the archives for 'headlights', theres alot of info there.
:seeya
Old 07-07-2003, 12:05 AM
80Xflags
Pro

You're not alone. I have the same problem except it's a "small" problem on my list of things to take care of, so for now I just deal with it. I also thought there was supposed to be a vacuum reserve of some sort so the head lights could be lowered after the car was shut off . . . I could be wrong :confused: .

:seeya
Old 07-07-2003, 12:27 AM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Re: Headlights pop up now, finally. ? (80Xflags)

there is. your car should have it. its a small cylinder that looks like a coffee can with three tubes sticking out of it. I'm not sure where it is located though.

I'm just pleased that they are working. I was just wondering if this offset is normal. I'm still going to adjust the door tonight. then tomarrow morning (I finally have a day off) I'm going to start to attempt to restore my rims. I'm wondering if it is going to be possible.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:38 AM
L48Shark
Burning Brakes

Location: If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a veteran.
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

its a small cylinder that looks like a coffee can with three tubes sticking out of it. I'm not sure where it is located though.
On your '77, the vacuum reserve tank is the front of your frame. The aftermarket replacements are the ones that look like big coffee cans.

I was just wondering if this offset is normal.
I would bet that the majority of Sharks have headlights that do not raise and lower in perfect unison.

:cheers:
Old 07-07-2003, 01:25 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

I've never seen a single one that did raise in unison. Mine certainly don't, not even close, driver side is locked when the passenger side is only a quarter of the way up. I don't really see how it's a problem, as long as they work. My problem is that when I shut the car off the driver side light pops up unless I relieve the pressure by turning the lights on and then off really fast before I shut the engine off. It probably just the check valve by the carb.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:35 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Headlights pop up now, finally. ? (L48Shark)

:iagree: with both statements.

Now that I've replaced the driver's actuator on mine, it's up long before the passenger's side. It stays up longer than the passenger's side when they're turned off too. :skep: It doesn't really bother me though, I'm just glad they both work now :yesnod:
Old 07-07-2003, 10:35 AM
fontking1a
Burning Brakes

My headlights used to "stick" when you turned them on. At first I thought it was a mechanical problem but after careful inspection, it turned out to be something really simple....and stupid. There is a plastic/pvc shield that covers the headlights when they are closed. Both of mine were warped just a little bit and prevented the headlight doors from opening. I drilled a little hole in the center of each one and wiretied it using a black wiretie...to the grill. They have opened as they should ever since.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:57 PM
Ghostrider
Pro

My pop up lights had “slowed down” I found a loose vacuum hose connection at the relay. I then checked ALL vacuum hose connections foreward of the engine by pulling EACH of the individual hoses off (vacuum relay, light actuator canister) Many had loose fits and permanently enlarged ends and where this was the case, I used a box cutter to cut the ends for a “fresh" and tighter hose connection. There must have been many cumulative leaks and I was surprised to see the improvements. Try it if you have time.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Headlights pop up now, finally. ? (Ghostrider)

One of my relays had a tiny pin-hole in its top due to rust. Caused the lights to open one at a time. JB Welded the pin hole, now they work perfectly :thumbs:
Old 07-07-2003, 02:47 PM
L48Shark
Burning Brakes

Location: If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a veteran.
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Of course, if it really bothers you, you can do like I am and install a set of recessed headlights! :cool:

Old 07-07-2003, 05:45 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The only thing I don't see mentioned is the 4 helper springs on each light. Check to see if they are worn, broke,or missing. :seeya
Old 07-08-2003, 01:09 AM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Re: Headlights pop up now, finally. ? (Schmucker)

On your '77, the vacuum reserve tank is the front of your frame. The aftermarket replacements are the ones that look like big coffee cans.
I know. I was telling 80XFLAGS that his stock reserve tank is a large coffee can, which can easily be replaced. We are stuck with the whole bumper

I've never seen a single one that did raise in unison. Mine certainly don't, not even close, driver side is locked when the passenger side is only a quarter of the way up. I don't really see how it's a problem, as long as they work. My problem is that when I shut the car off the driver side light pops up unless I relieve the pressure by turning the lights on and then off really fast before I shut the engine off. It probably just the check valve by the carb.
My bet would definately go on the check valve. I tested my old one with a vacuum pump and it failed completely. $25 for a new one, 2 sec to replace. I would definately do it, saves you the hasle and frustration.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights pop up now, finally. ?

Quick Reply: Headlights pop up now, finally. ?