C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lt1 motor exchange

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 11:13 PM
Riley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 motor exchange

I have a guy at work that is willing to part with an 1970 Lt1, in fact he is giving it to me if i want it. Before i go and take it off his hands and rebuild it.i was wondering what if any promblems would i come across installing it in my 1980, which at this time has a 350 and the th350 auto trans. I would like to say that it will just bolt in but you guys are the exsperts. I just don't want to find out half way through that i was wrong and wished i would have asked this earlier. The one promblem i think i will have in with the hood clearence as this have a highrise intake, but i am new at this so thanks in advance for your input.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:41 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Lt1 motor exchange (Riley)

If it's FREE take it home and then compare the two engines to see what is different. You may find the older heads/blocks do not have all of the bolt holes that your '80 has. Maybe someone will chime in. I can tell you that my exchange from a '74 to a '72 engine found multiple changes in the years where fittings were such as the oil pressure sending unit and block water temperature sensor. Going from complete pollution control to a '70 that was non-existant might be a real pain to make them adapt and work right.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:42 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I would (cough! cough!) drop it into a 70 ragtop! :lol: MJ
Old 07-06-2003, 11:58 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: (MNJack)

A 70 Lt1 will be solid lift if I am not mistaken. Just a little more maintanence. How many miles does it have on it??? Does he know how saught after that motor is to a 70 owner? :eek:
Old 07-07-2003, 12:20 AM
Riley
Instructor

Default Re: (LAvetteman)

Well it was his friends motor that he help replace with a 427 in the car. Heleleft him the motor in exchange for the help. He says it had around 65,000 on it , but there is realy now way of knowing for shure. It's been sitting in his garage for a few years and he said i could have it if i wanted. I will have to go there when i am off again and get the number off the motor just to make shure there is no BS about what it is.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:25 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: (Riley)

IMO, its worth more to a 70 restorer than in your car. Check those numbers, if it is indeed a 70 vette LT1, you could probably sell it for a good bit toward a newer, just as strong, less maintanence motor. :)

[Modified by LAvetteman, 11:28 PM 7/6/2003]
Old 07-07-2003, 12:40 AM
Sting Raycin
Drifting

Default Re: (LAvetteman)

IMO, its worth more to a 70 restorer than in your car. Check those numbers, if it is indeed a 70 vette LT1, you could probably sell it for a good bit toward a newer, just as strong, less maintanence motor. :)

[Modified by LAvetteman, 11:28 PM 7/6/2003]
:iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Lt1 motor exchange

Quick Reply: Lt1 motor exchange