C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Seatbelts are installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 10:31 PM
pra4sun
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Seatbelts are installed - Now with Pictures

I got the F-Body seatbelts in this weekend. It took my brother-in-law and me about 3 hours to do it, and that included a trip to the hardware store for some mounting bolts. This was a satisfying and easy upgrade to do.

I folllowed the instructions from this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=566021

Some Comments:
The Torx bolts that came with the new belts came in really handy - My car did not have any belts, and these bolts fit exactly the thread pattern where the belts mount to the floor. I guess GM has never changed this. :cheers:

The holes where the retractors mount on the rear fenderwells on my '70 were very large, about the size of the heads of the Torx bolts. I'm not sure, but a previous owner may have tried to bubba something in there? A quick trip to the hardware store for bolts, washers, etc solved this problem.

The bending and hacksawing that you need to do to the new belts is really easy - this is not hardened metal.

I decided not to try and complicate matters by passing the shoulder belt through the seat. The belt sits on my shoulder (I'm 6' tall) without a problem.

One other thing: The set of belts I got had a rectangular push button, not the square one that Vettes have. Initially, I thought that I may have gotten the wrong year belts (I'm still not sure what year I have), but they fit perfectly.

[Modified by pra4sun, 9:56 PM 7/7/2003]
Old 07-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: New Seatbelts are installed (pra4sun)

We have got to have some pics. You cant leave us hangin like this. This is one of the upgrades I have been thinking of.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:40 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Glad to hear it went well for you. I just got a set on E-Bay for $45 + shipping but haven't put them on yet. Actually I got a full set (front & rear). Anybody have a use for the fronts?
Old 07-07-2003, 01:34 PM
pra4sun
Racer

Default Re: New Seatbelts are installed (Eddie 70)

I'll pull my sad excuse for a digital camera out and get a few pics of the job.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:47 PM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 07-07-2003, 09:53 PM
pra4sun
Racer

Okay, here are some pics of the install. Sorry, there are no "before" pictures.

Here are the retractors installed in the fenderwells. Wasn't it nice of GM to label them Left and Right? :D They mount low, and you will notice that they mount very close to the seatback. Carpeting was removed because it will be replaced someday.
The pictures show the mounting hardware I had to purchase (grand total: $2.02). The holes that were there were so large that the bolt needed a washer.

/

Here is another retractor picture with the convertible top folded down. Notice that there is plenty of room there.

Here is the buckle. Like I said, these have a rectangular button, not a square one, but actually is better-placed, IMO. Since I was able to use the original Torx Bolts that had a rubber grommet, the buckles rotate freely, making them easy to get at, and easy to hide, if desired.

This is the outer fastener, near the door opening. You can see the F-Body Torx bolts can in really handy. :cool:

Here is what it looks like fastened. Not too pretty, but I would probably never do this anyway.

Finally, here it what the belt looks like when not in use. It hides away really nicely, so I would never want to add a holder.

I took a quick drive today with the seatbelts on, and I feel a lot safer wearing them. This was a relatively easy install, well worth the 3 hours.

[Modified by pra4sun, 9:54 PM 7/7/2003]

[Modified by pra4sun, 9:55 PM 7/7/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To New Seatbelts are installed

Quick Reply: New Seatbelts are installed