C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting belt for power steering pump.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 04:54 PM
Red69L68
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting belt for power steering pump.

I have a '69 427 - 400 Hp. car and was wondering :confused: if anyone has found an easy way to adjust the belt for the power steering pump? Mine is squeeling again and I just can't seem to get enough leverage on the pump to get the belt tight.
Chuck W.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:23 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Adjusting belt for power steering pump. (Red69L68)

I'm not sure how the BB is set up. On my small block it is easier to remove the alternator, loosen the upper and lower bolts on the pump, the get a 24" heavy screw driver on the edge of the frame and the pump housing shaft neck. If your belt is old you might want to change it. The new belts seem to have sticky rubber and grab the pulleys.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:39 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Adjusting belt for power steering pump. (isosceles)

BB's are unique as the power streering pump drives the alternator. No resemblence to a SB set up. Loosen the alternator ajusting bracket. Now loosen the bolt on the PS pump bracket in front of the block. Now shine a flashlight between the back of the alternator and the front of the exhaust manifold and look slightly forward. You will see a nut going through the ajuster bracket. It is hard to get a wrench on it, I use along off set 9/16". I have used others but it is hard to keep the wrench from slipping. Loosen the nut just enough to move the pump. I have some one push on the pump from the other side of the car.
Tighten the nut. Now tighten the front bolt and re-adjust the alternator.... FYI If you have A/C the front bolt is only accessable through the hole in the water pump belt tensioner. It's a real PIA to do it the first time but once you do it.... piece of cake.

Get notified of new replies

To Adjusting belt for power steering pump.

Quick Reply: Adjusting belt for power steering pump.