C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling any Steering Column - Horn Experts 1980

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 12:18 AM
azswede1960
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calling any Steering Column - Horn Experts 1980

I have troubleshot my non-working horn and have found that the horns work if I apply 12v directly to them (both work). I have also checked the horn relay by removing relay and jumping the two pins (Green/Orange I think it was) and applying ground to third (black). The horns work then.

Third test was to see if I had continuity from harmonica plug up to pin in steering wheel with the spring, WHICH there isn't.

Now I have removed the telescopic steering wheel to find the black wire that goes to harmonica but cannot get down far enough to find it!!!
The spring is removed but there is a plastic looking tab that I don't want to break so I need some help to understanding how the signal gets from the spring loaded pin to the harmonica connector.

I can provide you pictures of steering column if I have not described it well enough.
There are a lot of knowledgeable people out there that have given me some great help and hope to get some more good advice!!!

P.S What provides the "spring action" the horn button? As I took it apart first time the previous owner had it all in pieces so I bought a new horn kit hoping it would fix the problem - but no such luck!
Old 07-06-2003, 12:33 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Calling any Steering Column - Horn Experts 1980 (azswede1960)

You should see a hole with a plastic liner. To check it, stick a screwdriver or something down there and ground it against something. The horn should sound. The spring plunger and a plastic collar goes into that hole and contacts the leg on the horn contact.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:10 AM
azswede1960
Instructor

Default Re: Calling any Steering Column - Horn Experts 1980 (wombvette)

I already have the part out with the hole /w plastic liner that the pin/spring go into. Does the signal go through the large spring that is used for telescope steering as well? I don't see anything else between that could be used but I am far from an expert.......I used ohm meter to check the black wire in the harmonica plug but cannot get continuity with anything contacts up in the wheel........
Old 07-06-2003, 09:55 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

i have the same problem let us know what you do to fix it .
Old 07-06-2003, 10:46 AM
azswede1960
Instructor

Default Re: Calling any Steering Column - Horn Experts 1980 (terry82)

You too? Well atleast I am not alone!!!! Did you do all the same troubleshooting? Just seems strange that there is not a wire or something between except the huge spring that pushes telescope towards driver.......

That spring is little bit rusty....so wonder if that would hinder proper ground or something.....will clean that up today and see how that works.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:00 AM
69 LT1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you post a pic of what you have.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:47 AM
azswede1960
Instructor

Default Re: Calling any Steering Column - Horn Experts 1980 (69 LT1)

http://members.***.net/tom.ard/Column1.jpg http://members.***.net/tom.ard/Column2.jpg http://members.***.net/tom.ard/Column3.jpg

#1 is as far down the column that I got. I see some contacts, 3 gold ones & 1 round at 11o'clock, BUT nothing but spring that connects the horn mechanism shown in Column2.jpg

I am SO confused!!!! Am I missing parts or just brain cells?
http://members.***.net/tom.ard/Column1.jpg
http://members.***.net/tom.ard/Column2.jpg
http://members.***.net/tom.ard/Column3.jpg
Old 07-06-2003, 12:59 PM
Trevelisek
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently fixed some problems I was having with a non-working horn on my 1978; managed to fix some problems with the telescoping unit at the same time.

I think I can answer your question about the 'spring action' in the button itself. When you first take off the horn button itself, you should find that it is just held to the horn assembly by three flanges of metal coming up from the contact plate (these are in turn cut to make them look like nine tabs). If you unscrew the three screws between the flanges of the contact button, (if you have tilt/telescope you may have to remove the two small screws holding the big tension screw, then the big tension screw in the center for the telescoping unit.) this unit should lift out, and it should have a small metal 'L' coming off the bottom. This unit should have some sort of insulating material sandwiched between two layers of metal. This contact unit is what provides the 'spring' in the button. On my car, this had gotten old, and someone had tried to do a Bubba repair to it at one time. I replaced this unit with one from a horn-rebuilder kit. This provides just enough 'spring' action for the horn. It isn't very spring-like as in some cars, it is just a little movement. It took a little juggling with the spacers to get the right height for the little 'L' that comes off the bottom of the contact (this goes right over the spring loaded button in the column) but it works now.

As changing out the horn contact and adjusting the shims for the contact seemed to fix my horn, I didn't get into any of the wiring below the little spring button...I didn't even know this worked until I tested it with a screwdriver (wearing insulating gloves). The best I can tell you would be to keep at it, and be sure to take a break if you think it is getting too frustrating... :banghead:

Hope you find some helpful info in here!
Old 07-06-2003, 01:29 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

First off, do a search here for the papers on file by Jim Shea, he the man on steering wheels.....I think he designed them...he worked for Saginaw..nuff said....he retired now though....complete diagrams and a whole bunch of text, lotsa time on his part....

NOW, the easy explanation is...that large spring does act like a relaible return cround for the tele section of the wheel....as I recall.....

second off, that slip ring the bronze brush slides against can get corrosion buildup....it's on the opposite end of that little 1/4 diameter brass spring...that small spring does conduct the current...the bronze brush looks like an electric motor brush...same material ....and so it needs to be removed, and some electrical contact cleaner lightly sprayed down into the empty cylinder....the wheel reassembled, and then turned from side to side fast as possible...that should clean up the round contact ring under the brush...you can't see it from the 'easy side' you need pull everything apart otherwise, and that 's a super PIA...but Jim's postings there should about tell the tale.....

GENE
Old 07-06-2003, 04:11 PM
azswede1960
Instructor

Default Re: Calling any Steering Column - Horn Experts 1980 (mrvette)

Lots of good help from everyone.....GOT IT WORKING :hurray: :party:

Turned out to take apart whole steering column and using dremmel to get rid of a bunch of corrosion/rust at contact points and on spring, that I think was hindering ground from getting through cleanly. Works so good I think I can blow a puff at it and it goes off :D

Thanks for all the help :grouphug:
Old 07-06-2003, 09:44 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

azswede1960, good job ,i will be calling you for help when i start on mine . its probably the same thing .the pics do help in showing what you are doing . i got to get one of those digital cameras. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Calling any Steering Column - Horn Experts 1980

Quick Reply: Calling any Steering Column - Horn Experts 1980