C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid harmonic balancer/damper?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 12:00 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Fluid harmonic balancer/damper?

Are one of those silicon fluid filled damper/balancer's worth the extra scratch? The catalogs say they extend the life of your crank & bearings & give some extra ponies--is that true or snake oil?

JB
Old 07-06-2003, 01:06 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Fluid harmonic balancer/damper? (JB)

I have the Streetdamper on mine. I couldn't tell you if it was snake oil or not. I just know I had to have one and I couldn't see the paying the full price of the Fluid damper for a non race engine.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:24 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fluid harmonic balancer/damper? (Eddie 70)

I`ve heard both good things and bad things about the Fluiddamper..Some say that it will brake your crank,and some say that they are the best..How about the ATI?
Old 07-06-2003, 07:34 AM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Fluid harmonic balancer/damper? (Eddie 70)

I have the Streetdamper on mine. I couldn't tell you if it was snake oil or not. I just know I had to have one and I couldn't see the paying the full price of the Fluid damper for a non race engine.

I don't think that any proffesional engine build would use a Fluidampnr on a race eninge. Your best bet is a stock GM balancer or if you run a lot of RPM use an ATI. But NO balancer will give you any HP. An ultralight balancer will help slightly with drivability.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:41 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to a 6 1/4" fluidampr on my 350 when my stock outer ring slipped. Its a good part. Never had any problem with it. Its also marked with a full timing scale plus marks every 90 degrees which helps with tuning and valve adjustments. if you have the money to spend I think its worth it.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:42 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Fluid harmonic balancer/damper? (Pete79L82)

Quote: I don't think that any proffesional engine build would use a Fluidampnr on a race eninge.

FluidDamper - SFI approved dampers were one of the first high performance dampers on the market 12 or so years ago. Who knows they might have sold millions by now. That's millions of racers that know the benefits.

Marketing can often boost inferior products to the top of the list in everybodies mind. Look at comp cams and edelbrock. :(

The other things that sways what racers use in money. Contingency over the years forced me to use certian products. You have to have the right cam, the right lifters, the right ignition, ............. down to the smallest of parts. Nothing says that they are the best, but the public falls for it.

Just at local NHRA divisional races we would get an extra $1500 - $2000 just for having all the "RIGHT" parts and off course the stickers. At some races people would ask us if we had extra stickers for certian products just so they could get the extra pay out.

I have always used Fuilddamper SFI rated 6 1/4 inch. With never a failure and they always look nice. I would never use a stock damper again. they just fall aprt in a short period of time.

[Modified by gkull, 5:20 PM 7/6/2003]
Old 07-06-2003, 12:37 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I looked into this a few months ago for my 454. It was VERY hard to find any real info on the aftermarket ones. Finally found some graphs and the thing is they showed no difference between OEM and the $350 aftermarket ones below 6000 rpm.

So my conclusion was that for a street engine go with OEM (about $60-$70 from NAPA).

For a drag or road racer that revs 7k or even 8k rpms, go with an aftermarket one.

Get notified of new replies

To Fluid harmonic balancer/damper?

Quick Reply: Fluid harmonic balancer/damper?