C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight switched installed;easier than I thougt!! pics

Old 07-05-2003, 09:46 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headlight switched installed;easier than I thougt!! pics

I've been dreading installing a new headlight switch because I've read here that it is a real pain. I've had my dash lights getting power from an 'ignition-on' slot on the fuse block because the headlight switch wouldn't light then anymore. Wednesday, my headlights quit working altogether, so I got a switch from Ecklers.
The Haynes and GM shop manuals pretty much use the same procedure:
Remove screw from tach/speedo cluster to dash panel, disconnect speedo and pull cluster out. I disconnected my speedo cable at the cruise unit under the hood. I couldn't get the cluster past the steering column, but it was enough room to get my big meat-hooks behind it. http://home.earthlink.net/~mpolito1512/cluster.jpg

Next I took the 2 side screws from the dashboard out and pulled it out a little. It didn't seem like it was far enought, but it was. http://home.earthlink.net/~mpolito1512/dash.jpg

The job only took about 1.5 hours tops and now my headlights work! I think I need a dimmer switch too though, becuase once I hit the brights and the low beams would not come back on for a while until the circuit breaker in the switch reset.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:42 PM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Headlight switched installed;easier than I thougt!! pics (isosceles)

Thanks for posting those tips. I think I may have that same job coming up pretty soon and have been dreading it also. :cheers:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight switched installed;easier than I thougt!! pics