C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for in a Big Block test drive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 08:35 PM
1house3kids0vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for in a Big Block test drive?

I am looking at a 1974, 454, 4 speed that has been certified by the shop selling it. I have a deposit down and will be going for a testdrive on Tuesday. Are there any specific things I should be looking/listening for other than the obvious noises? Also, can anyone tell me if the seats are interchangable between driver and passenger side? The driver seat has considerably more wear than the passenger and as it will continue to see the most use the switch would be the way to go.
Thanks
Old 07-05-2003, 08:50 PM
evilsmf
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What to look for in a Big Block test drive? (canada74)

Um.........Horse Power!! :rofl: :cool:... does it put you back in your seat and speaking of seats I believe that there are interchangeable. :thumbs:

[Modified by evilsmf, 9:55 PM 7/5/2003]
Old 07-05-2003, 10:05 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good idea is to have a friend follow you in another car while yur test driving. Its the best way to see whats commin out of the exhaust. Any bluish color smoke whold indicate and oil control problem which could be expensive to fix. As well as driving it around town, try and get it out on the highway and up to speed. Many times drivetrain balancing problems dont show up until higher speeds. Shift up thru all gears under load and then down shift thru gears just the same to slow the car using engine braking. This will give you a good idea of how smooth the tranny is workin. Take it to a parking lot and do some circles moving slowly around with the steering turned all the way to the lock. do it in both directions. Open the door while doing this and listen for noise comming from rear. sometimes this test can indicate problems with worn differential gears or posi clutch packs. All the while monitering the gauges to make sure all the vitals stay inline.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:30 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: What to look for in a Big Block test drive? (Jvette73)

Good advice. I would add the following

Brakes, do they stop and stop well without pulling.

Suspension - does the car bounce or lean heavy to one side on cororing and sit level on a level surface?

What temp does the engine run at fully warm and can it keep temps within normal levels. BB's can run hot, but a good cooling system should manage to keep it between 190 and 210.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:54 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: What to look for in a Big Block test drive? (bigvette1)

Besides the ordinary noises and comfort checks, I would pay special attention to engine temp and exhaust smell. If its running rich it is fixable, but one more thing to have to do.

As for the seats, if the 74 are like the 71's than they ARE NOT interchangable due to the shoulder harness going through the headrest. If the shoulder harness doesn't go through the headrest than it should interchange.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Macs73
Instructor

Default Re: What to look for in a Big Block test drive? (Jvette73)

:iagree: Take it to a parking lot and do the circles, this is a good way to find odd noises etc.. My 454 puts me back in my seat so be ready :D

I have read posts that say the big blocks are the "Dark Side :reddevil "

I hope you join us soon (Evil laugh) HA HA HA ;)
Old 07-05-2003, 10:57 PM
evilsmf
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What to look for in a Big Block test drive? (LAvetteman)

As for the seats, if the 74 are like the 71's than they ARE NOT interchangable due to the shoulder harness going through the headrest. If the shoulder harness doesn't go through the headrest than it should interchange.
i guess i was wrong not the first time :seeya
Old 07-06-2003, 12:23 AM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm Does it take your breath away out of a light?

MAtt
Old 07-06-2003, 02:40 AM
standup
Drifting

Whether it's a small block or big block doesn't matter.......if it's a stock '74, then 270HP is not going to knock you back in your seat........

The important thing to check in any Vette is rust in the frame, birdcage and window frames.....

The frame can be checked with a screwdriver, poking at it especially just in front and behind the wheel wells....surface rust is liveable, but if it collapses or looks corroded, then walk away.....look for new paint, new bolts everyhere and question why they're there......

If this is the same Vette you're trying to polish (previous post).....then maybe it's been sitting outside for awhile?????

Get notified of new replies

To What to look for in a Big Block test drive?

Quick Reply: What to look for in a Big Block test drive?