C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here sprayed a gelcoat to seal their vette up before painting ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 06:07 PM
White 68
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone here sprayed a gelcoat to seal their vette up before painting ?

I,ve read Lars paper and will probably go that route as my car only has a few minor areas that need cosmetic repair not structural. My car is down to bare fiberglass ...I,m still doing some final sanding in all the edges/hard to reach places. ....Any tips on filling in the rear luggage rack holes ? I perfer not to have one . Thanks .....
I ask the gelcoat question as I heard it was the best thing to assure that nothing bleeds through after final paint....Its was at a restoration class during the 50th in Nashville by NCRS..
Old 07-05-2003, 06:30 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Anyone here sprayed a gelcoat to seal their vette up before painting ? (White 68)

i did it to mine,will i ever do it again NO,i stripped it all the way down to bare glass,but it sat outside for a year then got back to it again.The errant strands of fiberglass were stickiing up everwhere and the glass it self was in pretty bad shape so i gel coated the entire car,then preceded to block sand it out for a month,after i was done i was happy with the results,very straight.I also gelcoated it in blue.I had one spot on the drivers side door that before i gel coated it would always come back,it was oil from inside the door when i sprayed the linkage it soaked through the glass and through the primer,i preped it and then gelcoat ,it never came back.

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 6:32 PM 7/5/2003]

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 6:32 PM 7/5/2003]
Old 07-05-2003, 06:58 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Anyone here sprayed a gelcoat to seal their vette up before painting ? (patsnitrovette)

I used Ecklers spray gelcoat over the bare glass just for insurance, but like stated above never again. The stuff has a wax-like substance on the surface after it cures that's a pita to remove before you can get to blocking. I have to say tho it seems to have done it's job.
The modern two part primer sealers should be a better way to go imo.....

Mike :cheers:
Old 07-06-2003, 12:41 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Anyone here sprayed a gelcoat to seal their vette up before painting ? (yellow 72)

Use the correct type gelcoat and PVA and it will not sand so hard.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:31 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Anyone here sprayed a gelcoat to seal their vette up before painting ? (wombvette)

yeah i used a mold release formula from a marine supply -evercoat makes it worked great,sprays on like a wax then when you know its dry underneath just wash it with soap and water comes right off.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:57 PM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Anyone here sprayed a gelcoat to seal their vette up before painting ? (White 68)

I used a epoxy sealer, DP40 I believe from PPG. Someone told me that the sharks weren't Gel-coated anyway.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:10 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Anyone here sprayed a gelcoat to seal their vette up before painting ? (Roadster71)

I used K36 on my car. came out great.

About the luggage rack holes.. your better off leaving them there and putting a rack back on.. you'll never get the holes to disappear. TRUST me on this one. when i painted mine, primer and basecoat it looked like the holes were sealed up and you wouldnt be able to see. as soon as i put the clear on, 6 rings showed up on the back deck. damn was i pissed to see that :mad

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone here sprayed a gelcoat to seal their vette up before painting ?

Quick Reply: Anyone here sprayed a gelcoat to seal their vette up before painting ?