C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone blown their Mallory Ignition module?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 05:25 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Has anyone blown their Mallory Ignition module?

Has anyone blown their Mallory Ignition module and did it kill all your electric to other components?

Yep, I'm still-hunting down the problem of no electric anywhere. :mad
If the Mallory module fails will all electric go out. My 74 has a remote starter and that turns the starter, but the engine is not firing. :eek:
Old 07-05-2003, 06:42 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Has anyone blown their Mallory Ignition module? (74 vert)

I blew my magnetic pickup in my Mallory Distributor when I install my MSD box. Pull a spark plug and with it connected to the plug wire leaning against some metal for the plug to ground to turn it over to see if your getting any spark to your plug.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:41 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Has anyone blown their Mallory Ignition module? (SmokedTires)

My module went out last year. The car would just shut off while driving from time to time. Usually started right up again. The Mallory tech guy said my solid core plug wires were the culprit. Later, after reading the Mallory Unilite instructions, I realized I should have been using only suppression type wires. $89 lesson. Good luck. BTW, after changing the module, my car seemed to run stronger than it had before, even prior to the shutting off problem.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:26 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My ignition mod went last week. It cost me $172 cdn for a new one. They say it is caused by a voltage spike. I then bought the mallory voltage surge protector for another $65 dollars,
To test the unit, unplug the unit and with a jumper jump out the wire that goes to the negative side of the coil, install a plug in the coil wire, lay it on the motor and play moros code with the wire attacted to the wire on the negative side of the coil. The plug will fire every time the wire is touched to the motor. The same is true for the white wire on the MSD. If in doubt of the msd box unplug the white wire, install a plug in the coil and start grounding away watching the plug for firing.
Last week I had 4 MSD boxes piggy backed onto each other plus the Mallory unilite distributor and I had a ignition problem.
Solved it in a few minutes just grounging the white wires out then the negative side of the coil. Showed a good spark with all the white wires then again with the negative side of the coil . I always pull the distributor when testing ignition and turn it by hand. Saves cranking the motor and the distributor works fine in the hand. I can even make the tac jump to 1500-2000 with a flick.
Good luck.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:51 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I assume you have a Unilite?
My first Unilite failed because it (the motor) did not have a good ground.
Installed good grounds to motor/frame/batt, installed new module, ok so far (9 years)

Also, when it failed it was very hard to start and ran really rough. Did not cause any other problems though.

On your problem, I would guess you have a poor ground as a root cause. This would fry the module in addition causing other related electrical problems. Try using a points type distributor to help troubleshoot as points are more tolerant of electrical issues.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone blown their Mallory Ignition module?

Quick Reply: Has anyone blown their Mallory Ignition module?