C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spraying interior pieces?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Joebio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spraying interior pieces?

The guy who details my truck for me was looking at my 71, I was asking him to figure out how much he could do with it. All the panels except for the dashpad is in good shape, no cracks, just faded and worn. He suggested that I take them off and then spray them. I never thought to do it and not sure how it would of turn out.

Have any of you done this? What type of paint would I use?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2003, 05:23 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Spraying interior pieces? (Joebio)

A lot of the people on the forum have. I plan to as soon as the rest if my interior arrives. First clean the panel / trim plate with a mild cleaner like Simple Green. Then clean with a silicon remover (to get rid of the years of Armor All). Then spray paint with Krylon Semi-Flat black paint. There are also "dyes" on the market. Maybe someone will charm in on when it is best to use dyes vs. the Krylon.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:20 AM
NorthVette
Racer

I completed the interior resto on my car this spring and that required me to paint/dye the parts that were salvageable, and people have a real hard time distiguishing the new parts from the original painted ones!!!

It's not a difficult job, but like all paint work, your results improve with the amout of prep. you do.

Colour and match will depend on product availability and how original you want your interior.

Hopefully others will chime in with recommendations about products and colour matching...

Shoot me an email if you need more info or some pics...
:cheers: and good luck!
Old 07-06-2003, 09:49 AM
ManFromEagle
Instructor

Dive in and do it. You will be surprised how easy it is. I recently dyed my interior. I was terified that I would get awful results. I ordered dye from Mid-America and just took it slow and light coates.

I was amazed how good it came out. My painting skill are horrible but this looked like some guy who should be paid $100 an hour did it. It must be the dye goes on different than paint because I would never have had paint look that good.

Let us know how it goes. I think you will be surprised.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:29 AM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Spraying interior pieces? (Man from Eagle)

What parts did you use dye for and what parts did you use Kryon spray paint for?
Old 07-06-2003, 01:49 PM
kmat5
Advanced

Any of the plastic panels can be painted! After cleaning real good you can paint them with Lacquer. The vinyl pieces should be dyed since the thinner from the lacquer paint will dry and crack the vinyl. :smash:
Old 07-06-2003, 03:51 PM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Spraying interior pieces? (kmat5)

Order your dye of choice from any of the corvette part suppliers and use it for both the vinyl and hard plastic parts. Prior to doing the hard plastic parts give them a coat of the special primer that can be obtained from the same sources. That way everything matches.

Get notified of new replies

To Spraying interior pieces?

Quick Reply: Spraying interior pieces?