C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question After New composite rear spring Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 02:40 PM
par1969
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question After New composite rear spring Install

Just installed a 340# composite spring in the rear of my 69' 434cid small block roadster. When the car is parked, if I push on the fender and rock the car slightly the new rear hardware sqeaks. I do not here it while driving do the the engine noise, Any quick fixes for this? Secondly the ride hieght is a little high. I don't carry a spare tire or my convertable top so my back is lighter then stock. Will it settle over time or do I need to modify the mounting bolts to apply less spring pressure? Thanks is advance.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Question After New composite rear spring Install (par1969)

Mine does too- try marine grease on the bushing?

You used poly bushings, right?

-Steve
Old 07-05-2003, 03:34 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

The fiberglass spring will not settle any more than it does after your first or second drive.
The lube recommended above will solve your squeeking problem.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:34 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

par, Longer bolts will lower the car, and if you don`t mind my asking who built your motor?? redvetracr
Old 07-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

The only fix I know of for the ride hieght is to use longer spring bolts designed for lowering vettes. They can be found in any Corvette catelog (i.e. Ecklers, Corvette Central, ...). I have had a fiberglass spring on my vette for years and have not noticed any significant settling of the spring height.

About the squeeks, I take it your using polyurathane cushions. Try using grease on them. The spring itself shouldn't squeek.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:42 AM
par1969
Intermediate

Default Re: Question After New composite rear spring Install (redvetracr)

Thank you everyone for your responses. (redvetracr) A Friend of mine who works for Mercury Marine(High performance Division) built the the 434 himself with the machining work being done by C&S engines in Milwaukee WI. He installed it in his 84 Camaro Race car and had it built with the proper components to spin to 8000RPM. After showing him my new 69' Corvette he wanted one and purchased a 68' Big Block roadster with plans for a 502 he would aquire from Mercury. I also was planing on converting to a 502 big block but after riding in the Camaro with the 434 I was so impressed I acepted his offer to sell me the engine. I installed a slightly smaller solid roller cam to bring the RPM's down to 6500-7000 and have been very happy ever since.

Get notified of new replies

To Question After New composite rear spring Install

Quick Reply: Question After New composite rear spring Install