C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ring & Pinion Backlash?

Old 07-05-2003, 01:38 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Ring & Pinion Backlash?

While I am re-engineering the crossmember, I also took out the 3rd member to replace the side yokes. I had changed the R&P to new 3.08's a few thousand miles ago. I took great care and pride to get the backlash precisely .008" as directed. I checked it again today and found the backlash to now be .010". Only .002", but still a 25% change. Is this normal for a new set breaking in? The pattern did look very good.

All in all a pretty good day. With Pacin's help I got the motor and tranny pulled. Removed one cylinder head for examination and everything looks like good even burns. Minor evidence of rust on the cylinder walls from letting the car sit undriven too long. I may take a flex hone to them while I'm at it.

As always, the forum's esteemed analysis is appreciated.

Chuck

p.s. Steve, thanks again for all the help and company today!
Old 07-05-2003, 06:05 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Ring & Pinion Backlash? (Chuck Harmon)

I think that backlash is fine, leave it alone, I assume the oil and bearings look good.....

GENE
Old 07-05-2003, 10:37 AM
Racer16k
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's pretty normal. I'd leave it alone.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:03 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a range and I believe .010 is still within this range. The last time I did a gear change I machined a solid bushing to replace the crush sleeve. This is normal in 4x4's that have problems with crush sleeves backing off. I thought I would give it a try.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:02 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Ring & Pinion Backlash? (norvalwilhelm)

On the alloy center sections the backlash specs are .005/.009 . A reading of .010 is nothing at all to worry about . As soon as you drive the car and the surface micro structure starts to burnish so to speak , backlash will increase . Rears with a lot of mileage can have a great deal of backlash and yet perform quietly and have no problems . In fact trying to remove the excess backlash on an older gearset can cause some serious and expensive problems . Getting a good contact pattern and correct preloads will assure you of long life for your rear .

Norval makes a good point concerning the crush sleeves used in some rears . I have used solid spacers to preload my pinions for years with no rear problems .

:iagree: :thumbs:

gman
Old 07-05-2003, 06:09 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Ring & Pinion Backlash? (ram82fire)

Completely normal. Pattern is way more critical, and sounds like yours is fine.

Hans

Get notified of new replies

To Ring & Pinion Backlash?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ring & Pinion Backlash?