C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuseable link, WTF does it look like?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 10:16 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default fuseable link, WTF does it look like?

I have 12 volts at the battery, the ground has continunity and I don't have juice to anything. The DAm@ electrictrical system is dead. I heard that it is orange or something and on the firewall? Pictures anyone? I have a 74.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:04 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: fuseable link, WTF does it look like? (74 vert)

It will be near the starter solinoid. Comes off the large connection that the battery cable goes on. Its just a section of wire, usually with a connector on both ends.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:03 AM
ry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i blew mine last year. its the wire on the starter closest to the passenger side, and its about an inch or so long. i belive it is either orange, pink, or red. i can't tell if its faded or not. :yesnod:
Old 07-05-2003, 08:07 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: fuseable link, WTF does it look like? (ry)

I would agree that the fusable link is attached to the starter,but if there's no power anywhere in the car,the color of the link will most likely be black,and kind of crispy looking like a burnt marshmellow. :yesnod:
Old 07-05-2003, 09:09 AM
toyvet1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: fuseable link, WTF does it look like? (The Money Pit)

when mine burnt out the insulation didnt burn. Give the wires off the starter a pull and if its burnt it will strecth.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:13 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

It should be a #14 red wire connected to the large post on the starter solenoid. You should be able to get a "generic" replacement at any auto parts store. There are other fuse links as well, but that is the main one. Normally when these go there is a reason, most likely a wire has grounded out someplace. The fuse link should be replaced with the same size (not bigger). There are several other links located at the wiring harness connector at the firewall in the engine compartment and they are typically smaller (#16, #18, etc). Jumping the links out can be dangerous, they are intended to fail before the wiring does (which could cause a fire). Suggest you get a wiring diagram to help you troubleshoot and repair.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:45 AM
WPEDirect
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure it's the fusible link? Mine was completely dead the other day after I had been looking around under the engine. Turns out I had brushed up against the wires hooked to my starter. I reached up under there and wiggled real good - everything started working. :smash:

[Modified by WPEDirect, 10:49 AM 7/5/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To fuseable link, WTF does it look like?

Quick Reply: fuseable link, WTF does it look like?