C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

guys with comp cams rollers(retrofit)gkull too

Old 07-04-2003, 06:21 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default guys with comp cams rollers(retrofit)gkull too

i need to know what it sounded like when your retrofit rollers broke ,i know the rivet holding the link breaks and they spin in the bore wiping out the cam but did you get any weird noises when it happened.I picked up a slight misss lately at idle and today it started tapping when i took it to work,by the time i got home it was missing pretty good and tapping not sure what side just parked it in the garage and went to a party.Thats amazing 5 years ago i wouldve had it ripped down in an hour to the block to find out what it is,i guess im getting older.Tommorrow ill rip it apart and find out what it is and go from there.Wife already said as long as she can still shop i can order what i need,i dont think theyll be anything left when im done ordering :jester
Old 07-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: guys with comp cams rollers(retrofit)gkull too (patsnitrovette)

Aw Man Pat, that'd be a shame. You just got that together. :sad: About a year ago there were a couple posts about the roller lifters failing. One guy even posted a pic of the broken pieces. Hope that's not the case with yours. :(
Old 07-04-2003, 06:44 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: guys with comp cams rollers(retrofit)gkull too (1970 Stingray)

Hey Len yeah i remember those post but couldnt remember who they were,no big deal on the motor,i was planning on building a 391 anyway but not this soon,but i do have a spare motor -11.1 355 in the garage to go in it if need be.As long as i dont do anymore damage i can fix it and drive it for the summer and start the fall project.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:11 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Well i couldnt wait i went out and pulled the dist. first,teeth were worn almost in half,hopefully thats all there is,but my experience is telling me i dont think so,so i definitely have to order the right gear now,ill pull the rest apart tommorrow. :rolleyes:
Old 07-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was Derek DMAN555, might be diff #'s at the end but his name is Derek and his comp cam lifters had one tie bar let go. He is now running a old style LT1 solid cam. Hope it is just the timing chain. :smileyguycrossinghisfingers:
Old 07-04-2003, 10:36 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: guys with comp cams rollers(retrofit)gkull too (Fevre)

Man that stinks Pat. Sounds like your wife is pretty tolerant, I'm always using the excuse "well you know honey these parts are pretty old so I'm not really suprised to see finally go (2 broken axles later :rolleyes: ).

Good luck and let us know how everything turns out :)
Old 07-05-2003, 10:07 AM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This should help to jog everyone's memory. Happy to report that the engine survived the failure. LT-1 cam is holding up well, car did not consume but a 1/4 quart of oil on the Corvette Caravan trip.

Old 07-05-2003, 11:29 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: guys with comp cams rollers(retrofit)gkull too (dman535)

Man Derek, that is still ugly! :eek: My crane retro-rollers have held up to 6500 rpm's, but I am more suprised that my LM1 bottom end has survived the :smash: .
Old 07-06-2003, 05:27 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

thanks derek,i pulled valve covers everything looked good there i put a light down the dist. hole and looked as far as i could see,everything looked fine,so far only dist. gear needs to be replaced.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:12 AM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

One other possibility is that a lifter wheel has seized. When I got the setup brand new from comp cams I had to send one of the lifter pairs back to get it warranteed. I was really ticked off that this stuff brand new out of the box from the manufacturer was defective.

Did you look at your spark plugs ? They can usually be a good indicator of the cylinder where the problem is.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:28 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: guys with comp cams rollers(retrofit)gkull too (dman535)

i didnt go any farther then that,i only had a few hours to work on it when i got home from work,trying to get things ready to go away for a week.Im at work now a few police cars and beach equipment broke down so i had to come in at 530 this morning,ive worked 7 weeks straight no days off and im looking forward to going away and relaxing.The vette will wait till i get back.Im gone to pull the intake anyway just to be sure,20 minutes tops,i wanna siamese the runners anyway so ill pull it to make sure.Whats weird is even with it missing vacuum stays steady at 15 in gear and 22 in park.no flucuations at all.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:47 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I hope you figure it out. Mine also has a periodic miss, but not bad. Same think the vacuum stays steady. I wonder if it is fuel pressure related or a bad injector.

Get notified of new replies

To guys with comp cams rollers(retrofit)gkull too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: guys with comp cams rollers(retrofit)gkull too