C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do you turn off when the cops pull out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 04:06 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default do you turn off when the cops pull out?

I guess it's normal for a cop to want to take a close look at an old vette. Too often they are parked watching traffic, and when i go by they turn and come in my direction, too often. I really don't enjoy a drive with a cop on my tail, so as soon as they pull out i take the first turn. Then i look in the mirror and i am pleased to see no one there. I had just rebuilt the wheel cyl in the 61 and it tested out good.
So i go to Publix, and some lady starts telling me they could write a song about that car, i was polite for a minute, then i got on my kick scooter and i was gone and she was still talking.
so do you turn off when a cop makes a u-turn to follow you?

[Modified by Matt Gruber, 4:09 PM 7/4/2003]
Old 07-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: do you turn off when the cops pull out? (Matt Gruber)

Any time a cop does a u-turn behind me I run away, even though I never do anything illegal, but I'd rather not have to argue even if I did. The cops around here are okay, except for a few ****** that tailgate you. The are worse drivers than I am. They speed, don't signal, or make complete stops.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Glutamine83
Racer

Default Re: do you turn off when the cops pull out? (Schmucker)

sure do, or hit the brakes and let them pass me
Old 07-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: do you turn off when the cops pull out? (Glutamine83)

I usually pretend like I don't even know they are there, and turn off when I get a chance :blueangel:
Old 07-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever since I got my vette I have found that its a cop magnet. I guess because it looks and sounds like it is going faster than it really is. If a cop is following me I just go a tad under the speed limit and usually they pass me to go find real criminals.

Matt, ya its nice to be nice but too often people take advantage of nice people who listen to them ramble on. :rolleyes: Then you have no choice but to not be nice.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:40 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

IF you REALLY have to loose them,...really badly....SECOND exit and take a LEFT!!! never a right....

then another left....after that, have fun....

GENE
Old 07-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Hobbes Blk '80
Instructor

Default Re: do you turn off when the cops pull out? (Glutamine83)

I'm 19 and I've been bent over and taken from behind by the local RCMP up here in Edmonton before.

I have very little respect for the police, I have been -totally- stereotyped- before by them because of my age. so, do I turn off? Yeah. If I was doing ANYTHING even remotely questionable I'll turn off and park my car and ditch it for ten minutes.

I have gotten some lame non-lesson-learning tickets that a 40 year old man would DEFINATELY not get.

Too bad I am white, or I could just scream discrimination :smash:
Old 07-04-2003, 11:20 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

:seeya My answer is "NO" I enjoy a challenge... The other day I was in my 93 Vette and a cop turn on to the same street I was on and followed me to a stop light. Well when the stop light turn green I was gone... He finally caught up to me (0 to 45 mph speed zone) followed about another block and turn off! :lol: As long that I didn't break any laws he has no reason to pull me over! :D Now when I drive the Big Block I do worry a little about being pulled over but feel the same way that if I don't break the law they shouldn't have a reason to pull me over. :yesnod:
Old 07-05-2003, 05:08 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. Am I the only one that actually drives the speed limit? OK, I accelerate upto the speed limit very quickly and there was once that I got a warning for "exibition of speed". When I was young I drove over the speed limit and was paranoid when a cop popped up in my rear view mirror. But, now that I drive safely I actually find a cop in the rear view to be cool. They usually accelerate quickly and pull up next to me and wave. Maybe if the cops in your area were to see you driving the speed limit every time they see you then you will just get a wave or nod as well.

In my opinion if you want to drive faster than the speed limit then go to a race track, that's what they are there for. On the street you should be driving the speed limit and enjoying the luxury and status of your vette. Also, keep in mind that some states are starting to crack down on street racing and may impound your vette and prevent you from driving it for up to 6 months on a first offense if they believe that you were enjoying a sense of racing even if you are by yourself on the road. The laws have become very lax about what constitutes street racing. Be careful, and drive safely.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:57 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Default Re: do you turn off when the cops pull out? (Rockn-Roll)

Who said anything about speeding? i gave that up in the 70's!
Yesterday i was doing 40 in a 45.
Last year 45 in a 45. Cop said he was doing 80 trying to catch up to me. Who is the speeder?
This is harrasment not law enforcement.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:12 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Interesting. Am I the only one that actually drives the speed limit? OK, I accelerate upto the speed limit very quickly and there was once that I got a warning for "exibition of speed". When I was young I drove over the speed limit and was paranoid when a cop popped up in my rear view mirror. But, now that I drive safely I actually find a cop in the rear view to be cool. They usually accelerate quickly and pull up next to me and wave. Maybe if the cops in your area were to see you driving the speed limit every time they see you then you will just get a wave or nod as well.In my opinion if you want to drive faster than the speed limit then go to a race track, that's what they are there for. On the street you should be driving the speed limit and enjoying the luxury and status of your vette. Also, keep in mind that some states are starting to crack down on street racing and may impound your vette and prevent you from driving it for up to 6 months on a first offense if they believe that you were enjoying a sense of racing even if you are by yourself on the road. The laws have become very lax about what constitutes street racing. Be careful, and drive safely.
Someday you may meet your soul mate, a cop as biased as yourself. He will KNOW FOR SURE you were speeding, just like you assumed i was speeding.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:48 PM
Jerpitcher
Advanced

I have had a couple experiences where cops have made a u-turn behind me and headed towards me with the lights on, both times they pulled over someone ahead of me...sure did scare me! :D
Old 07-06-2003, 03:36 PM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

Default Re: do you turn off when the cops pull out? (Jerpitcher)

:) :seeya :steering:

you guys are fun to read
Mike
Old 07-06-2003, 03:41 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I only pull over if they are directly behind me, with the lights on, and they stay there instead of passing me. That's my "hint" that they want to talk to me.

I can't run. The police know my car in Chandler. Not too many bright red 1980's with personal plates running around an area filled with mexican low riders and 4x4 trucks.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:36 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

I try to stay at or around the speed limit. I've slowed down as I get older. Also, I know if I was driving like a maniac, they'd treat me like I was a car thief. They'd know that the real owner of a Vette with a Jesus plate on the front wouldn't act like that!
Old 07-06-2003, 06:06 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Default Re: do you turn off when the cops pull out? (isosceles)

sometimes driving at the speed limit helps. i droveto FL from NJ twice in the late 1970's at 55 mph,the limit back then. i was the slowest car on the road, and was not stopped or followed. Was a very relaxing drive with the top down.
i've been 5 under the limit lately, do you really think bringing my speed up to the limit will help? :confused:
Old 07-06-2003, 06:32 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

i just hope for the best :)

Get notified of new replies

To do you turn off when the cops pull out?

Old 07-07-2003, 12:28 AM
Drew M
Team Owner

yeah, I turn off. Didnt work though last time I tried. The punk caught me. I dont know if I was more ashamed of the ticket, or to be caught by a ford. By the way, I drive a Mazda, not a Vette, so when i get followed, its because Ive done something. You won't find me speeding anymore, especially now since i found out my radar detector is broken.
Do those big speed screen things on the side of the road that tell you how fast your going use laser technology, or radar? Another question, does anyone know a site where i can find good information on both methods? If you at least sound like you know what your talking about while trying to explain the difference between radar and laser to a cop, you might get out of a ticket.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:19 AM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Default Re: do you turn off when the cops pull out? (Intimidator454)

The other day I was in my 93 Vette and a cop turn on to the same street I was on and followed me to a stop light. Well when the stop light turn green I was gone... He finally caught up to me (0 to 45 mph speed zone) followed about another block and turn off!
Yeah I would do that but last week my friend in his Camaro SS got a ticket for 'aggressive acceleration'. Thats a load of :bs
Old 07-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

I used to alwasy turn when I saw a cop behind me and I usually always got stopped now I just drive and actually go a little over the speed limit to show my kiwis.

I am going to share a few comments/questions I have gotten in my Corvette from different encounters.

1. That leg brace might answer my question about how you were driving
ANSWER: Ahh umm ahh yeah
RESULT: No ticket

2.Is there a reason you were driving im my lane? (opposite direction double yellow)
ANSWER:Well I was holding her hand and tuning the radio
RESULT: No ticket

3. Did you try and honk the horn at him?
ANSWER: No I didnt see him
RESULT: Totaled Insurance agents Jaguar into tree because I was young dumb hungover and racing a FAST Camaro I got an UNSAFE LANE CHANGE citation and $70K charged to insurance. Scuffed the fender blew a tire and thats it on the Corvette.

4.Now I know that Corvette is made to handle really well and I probably couldnt even outdrive it but you need to slow down.
ANSWER:Yeah yeah bla bla bla (16 and stupid)
Result: No ticket

Quick Reply: do you turn off when the cops pull out?