C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not to beat the wheel subject to death but.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 04:34 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Not to beat the wheel subject to death but.....

I looked throught the archieves for about half an hour today while the boss wasn't looking and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I've already got offset trailing arms to put on my Vette, and I was wondering what the largest width wheel I can get on the rear is. I know that if I got larger than like a 9.5" I'll have to cut the spring right? I have a an aftermarket VBP adjustable spring, and I think I remember them telling me that they can modify it if I wanted to go to bigger wheels. Anyway, Since my Vette isn't all back together yet, it's hard to make measurments, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Sorry, Iknow this topic gets braught up MANY times, but I'm extremely limited in my wheel and tire knowledge :nopity . I'm planning on oigng to 17" wheels, but I will go larger if I can slide some wider wheels in their. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Not to beat the wheel subject to death but..... (SuprJames)

Here's something a little different than the average wheel. I bought mine through PS Engineering. They can be found in many of the Kit Car magazines.

They're 17" x 8" and don't require spacers to fit over the stock calipers.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:42 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a 8.5 auto drag with a 305 x 50 x 15 radial tire. The rim is 5 inch back spacing but for the average car this is too much. I would recommend 4.5 maximum back spacing and the spring still might need to be cut or it will rub on the tire at times.
A steel spring is easy to cut but not fiberglass.

[Modified by norvalwilhelm, 8:07 AM 7/6/2003]
Old 07-06-2003, 01:14 PM
Bearcat
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Not to beat the wheel subject to death but..... (norvalwilhelm)

There WAS a guy here on the forum that discovered that a 19" wheel will clear the spring without having to cut it. And yes, you can fit a 10 inch wide wheel with the offset trailing arms.

If you use a 17" wheel, you might have to play with backspacing to clear the spring, in other words, get the wheels you want, and see if a spacer will move the wheel out enough so that the tire clears the spring. Either that or cut the spring. I believe the VBP and TRW springs can be ordered shortened for wide wheels.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:40 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Default Re: Not to beat the wheel subject to death but..... (Bearcat)

I was considering going to 18 inch wheels but after pricing tires I changed my mind. Those 305 BFG's only cost me $85 per tire CDN. That convinced me for now to stick to the 15 inch tires. I can't imagine what a good 19 inch tire would cost bit the 305 or 315 18 inchs tires were over $800 per tire.
Also if you get the spring hanger bolt to pass inside the rim you are restricting the length of bolt that you can use for lowering.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:13 PM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

10" will work with offset arms However removing originals ang installing can be a PIA

I went with tt ii'S, 17 X 8 4" bs Fit without mods
Old 07-06-2003, 02:20 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Not to beat the wheel subject to death but..... (norvalwilhelm)

Norval, isn't it AMAZING the power of Marketing??? bet there isn't ten bux variation in cost of production from an ordinary 13-14 inch tire for an econobox, and the 20 inch tire found on 'hotrods'....and certainly say a 275/50/17 tire like on MY car....so for a ten bux cost variation...we pay about 150 bux or MORE......

GENE
Old 07-06-2003, 05:39 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Not to beat the wheel subject to death but..... (mrvette)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't need the "rubberband on a rim" look.
:jester
Old 07-06-2003, 06:09 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Default Re: Not to beat the wheel subject to death but..... (timbo79)

Offset trailing arms are not the answer. You run into the frame long before the offset trailing arms. I bushed the limit with a 28 x 12.5 x 15 tire in modified wheel wells. My well was totally full, from the frame to the modified cut down lip. The biggest problem with right above where the trailing arm goes into the frame. I also modified this area.
I started with 5 inch backspacing and had to use spacers to gain clearance, 1/2 inch on one side and 3/8th on the other side. I did upgrade the wheel studs to 1/2 inch 3 inches long with fully threaded nuts , open end.
And yes mrvet the cost of tires by the inch sucks.

Get notified of new replies

To Not to beat the wheel subject to death but.....

Quick Reply: Not to beat the wheel subject to death but.....