C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust leaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 01:36 PM
ykp53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust leaks

i have header gasket that is tore on the driver side. would this cause my car to idle like crap? also what are my options for fixing it, whats the temporary solution, and what gaskets would you recommend to fix it properly.

[Modified by ykp53, 12:36 PM 7/3/2003]
Old 07-03-2003, 08:06 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: exhaust leaks (ykp53)

Yes, I think the torn gasket would make the car idle poorly. To fix it you have to put new gaskets and I recommend the Percy's aluminum gaskets. You can get them from Summit.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:07 AM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: exhaust leaks (vettfixr)

Yes, I think the torn gasket would make the car idle poorly. To fix it you have to put new gaskets and I recommend the Percy's aluminum gaskets. You can get them from Summit.
So I'm now reviving a somewhat old thread, but I have a similar question... So the ports on my heads are squarish and the holes in the headers are of course round... What gasket does one go with normally in this situation? On my old engine, I bought square copper gaskets, but I noticed they didn't seem like they would seal the round headers upon inspection, so I took them back and exchanged for round before installing... Installed round on one side (removing paper gasket) and they would not seal at all, no matter how tight I torqued (within reason). So far, to me, it seems the paper gaskets worked just fine as far as initial seal, but they would always blow out on me after just a few weeks... I do not want to fight with this any more once I drop in my 383...
Old 07-11-2003, 09:09 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: exhaust leaks (vettfixr)

:withstupid: You can't beat them that is what I use also
Old 07-11-2003, 09:18 AM
Let 'er eat!
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: exhaust leaks (ykp53)

The last time I went to drag strip I blew a header gasket. I replaced them with copper ones from Mr. gasket (40 bucks :eek: ) and have not had any problems since. These are really thick and when I removed my header last weekend to replace a motor mount the gasket still looked like brand new.

Get notified of new replies

To exhaust leaks

Quick Reply: exhaust leaks