C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the tail housing rear seal on a 71 four speed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 10:52 AM
nada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the tail housing rear seal on a 71 four speed.

Issue resolved

[Modified by Rick Church, 12:19 AM 7/16/2003]
Old 07-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Replacing the tail housing rear seal on a 71 four speed. (Rick Church)

I just replace mine this summer. Use a thin screw driver or otehr flat object to get the old seal off. I smeared a small amount of sealant around the new seal just to be safe. Hardest part is getting the seal to start going in. Once you get it the whole thing going in just tap around it until it seats all the way down. It seams to have stopped my leaking. I did notice my yoke was worn and probably needs replacing but I am going to put in a 5 speed so i felt it was not worth replacing it and the bearing it rides in which would mean pretty much rebuilding the tranny.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:27 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Replacing the tail housing rear seal on a 71 four speed. (Rick Church)

A screwdriver works but a seal puller is better. They are only about $10. As for installing the new one, either use a seal driver or a socket that is the same size as the seal and carefully drive it in. Make sure it is going in straight.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:43 PM
Koz

Default Re: Replacing the tail housing rear seal on a 71 four speed. (burners)

I agree.. I tried a screwdriver for about 20 minutes and finally gave up. I was afraid of breaking something and the seal wasn't budging. I purched the $10 puller and it came out in about 15 seconds.. Worth the money IMHO..
The seal I pulled out had a sealant added to it which I"m guessing made it harder to remove. Good Luck!
BTW: You don't have to remove the drive shaft.. Just disconnect the shaft at the front universal (remove the two straps) and then slide out the yoke. Pretty easy job..
Old 07-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Yes the yoke just slides out of the tranny. This would probably be a good time to change the tranny fluid. Since you are there anyway.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:23 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Rick
To change the Muncie rear seal on the car you will need room to work. I like to remove the driveshaft. The rear yoke will slide out,check the OD of the yoke for wear from the original seal. If it's under size(grooved) you'll get an oil leak even with a new seal. You'll have two choices then,replace the yoke $100-150?? or have it spray welded and turned to original OD at an electric motor rebuilder. I did this over 20 years ago and the yoke is still good,maybe a few tenths of wear.
Use a seal puller to remove the rear seal. The shaft will not come out,it's the main shaft of the tranny. There is also a bushing in the tailhousing. If this is worn then the best way to replace it is to remove the tranny and disassemble the tail housing. Hope this clears it up for you,
Gary

[Modified by gtr1999, 12:25 PM 7/4/2003]
Old 07-07-2003, 08:21 AM
Koz

Guess before giving advice I should have asked you what tranny you had in your car.. On the Borg-Warner the yolk is a seperate piece that just slides off the end of the tail shaft. Seems like on the Muncie it doesn't. Sorry if I sent you in a tail spin.. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing the tail housing rear seal on a 71 four speed.

Quick Reply: Replacing the tail housing rear seal on a 71 four speed.