C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-top weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 10:21 AM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default T-top weirdness

Alright gang, after going to the Hills n' Dales "tech session" a week or so back, I noticed how all the other C-3s there had their T-tops sitting down nicely on the cars. Looking at mine it looks like my car has a bad hairpiece sitting up there. Yeterday I started messing around with the tops to see if I could improve the appearance of the tops and was succesful in getting the driver side to sit down and look good. The passenger side is another story. No matter how I shim or un-shim I just can't get the top to sit right. I should mention that the driver side is the M1131 blue top and the problematic passenger side is anM89.6 bronze top but both appear to be of the same dimensions. The passenger side seems like it needs to slide in further toward the center of the car to me. The back side of the top sort of "wings up" and the pin that slides into the body is having a hard time aligning wth the body hole. I noticed that the receptacles on the center beam have some plastic inserts in them. If I remove these will I cause any issues? I am thinking I might get the extra bit of room I need by removing these on the passenger side. Option two is to see if there is any adjustment on these receptacles. Is there? I thought I would ask before I do any tool turning that is not needed. If I could get them to slide toward the center of the car I think I would be in the money other than having mis-matched T-tops. I have done all the adjusting that I can do to the top from what I can tell. Alright almighty wise ones, offer forth your advice. I am ready to get this problem fixed.

CVT4ME :cheers:
Old 06-30-2003, 10:38 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Re: T-top weirdness (CVT4ME)

OK, You know there are shims under the two 'Bayonet's' which insert into the center roof member. The Assembly manual shows this and has a page devoted to the adjustment/s and the how/what/where of these adjustments. Now on the drivers side inside the 'Pin' that goes into the rear upright, inside there is a switch which activates the alarm system. DO NOT REMOVE the plastic inserts. You will have many many rattles if you do. Also if you do some research, there was a 'Tech Bulletin' issued in late 79 that shows how you can remove the plate where the 'Pin goes, and unsing a tiny round file elongate the screw holes Downward so that the plate itself can be lowered another 1/4 inche. I'm not sure where I found it, I did this adjustment on my 79 and my T-tops fit somewhat better. I have one side that is perfect, the other is and has always been arkward to buckle down? Adjusting T-tops is a wonderful way to test the depth of your patience and fortitude. Do yourself a favor and schedule plenty of time for this adjustment. :seeya
Old 07-01-2003, 09:51 AM
Crash80
Drifting

Default Re: T-top weirdness (killain)

Thanks Killain,

I will not remove these nylon bushings, the last thing I need is a new rattle. I have the driver side looking good. It is the passenger side that is giving me fits. Unfortunately, I don't have an assembly manual for these, if you know where I can get one, let me know. Is there an adjustment in the receptacles for the bayonets that would allow me to move them closer to the centerline of the car? I think half my battle is getting the T-top to "slide" closer to the driver side top. I am a little skitish to get into the top too much without some documentation just in case. Thanks again for your response, you have saved me from doing something stupid. You are correct about this being a test of fortitude and patience, I hope I don't snap and send a tool flying accross the driveway! Got to keep that sense of humor!

CVT4ME
Old 07-01-2003, 09:57 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

The inside T-top interior panal is held on by velcro pads. You can carefully pry them off and undernigth you will find the two nuts that hold the 'Bayonets' that slide into the center support. The shims are under the two bayonets. You can remove or add to allow the top to get closer to the other side. If you send me your address I;ll make a copy of the adjustment page from the assembly manual and I'll either fax it to you or I can mail it. I think I have an extra shim, if I do I'd be glad to send it to you.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:05 PM
Crash80
Drifting

Hey Killain,

Are you talking about glass tops or solid tops? I have glass tops with plastic covers over the bayonets. I have been able to get to the bayonets and shims. I can see how to shim up and down but see no way to shim side to side. That would be great if you could fax me the info. from the assembly manual, I would really appreciate it. You can fax it to 210-207-3393, attention Scott Baker. Maybe seeing that will clear up what I am not readily seeing. I have shims but I appreciate the offer to send me one of yours. You gotta love this forum and the great people on here who offer up so much help. Thanks again for your help on this issue.

CVT4ME
Old 07-02-2003, 04:53 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just recently picked up a pair of mirrored t-tops from ebay.
They appeared to be refurbished, everything looks pretty new.
I thought I would just pop them in but nooooooo!.
I loosened everything and tried to get them to sit level but the back
edges appear to be, like you said 'wings up'.
The pins were also barely able to line up with the mounting plates.
I was able to finally get them on but they do not fit like previous mirrored
t-tops that I had before on my 76 Vette. My guess is maybe the weatherstrip
is new and hard and probably aftermarket cheap stuff. Oh well, live and learn.
:seeya
Old 07-09-2003, 04:31 PM
Crash80
Drifting

Hey Killain,

Thanks for the fax. I just got it today and it looks like it will be very helpful. I hope you did not have to pay to fax. I can hopefully return the favor someday. The door to our fax room had been changed and I was locked out until today.

Thanks again, :cheers:
CVT4ME

Get notified of new replies

To T-top weirdness

Quick Reply: T-top weirdness