C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VB&P Power Steering Control Valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 02:09 PM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default VB&P Power Steering Control Valve

HELP!!! I ordered a NEW power steering control valve from Vette Brakes, and it arrived yesterday. I didn't take a close look at it until today, and the instructions are for a REBUILT power steering control valve. Of course, I noticed this after business hours on Saturday, so now I can't get any information from VB&P. Is there a way I can tell if this unit is new or rebuilt? I wanted to replace the leaking valve today, so that I can drive the Vette (it's been non-op for a couple of weeks), and I'm going through withdrawals :D !!

This valve has a block off screw in place of the zerk fitting. Plus, the ball stud seal clamp is not held in place by nut-and-bolt....instead the clamp is tightened and held in place by being folded over and bent down (kinda like a belt strap).

Maybe I'll just have to wait until next Monday to get the information I need from VB&P, but I hope the Forum will come to my rescue!! You guys are the greatest!!

Mark
Old 06-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Detroit Vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: VB&P Power Steering Control Valve (Mark70)

I have brand new units for 165.00. Most of the units being sold out there are rebuilt. Most of the rebuilt one's are fine. Though every once in a while, you get one that leaks. Just depends on the quality of the rebuild job. VB's rebuilt unit is a nice piece though. I would mount it and go!!!
Old 06-28-2003, 03:19 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: VB&P Power Steering Control Valve (sdixon)

VB&P rebuilt control valves are guaranteed for 5 years. "New" control valves are guaranteed for 1 year.

Which one do you think VB&P considers to be of higher quality?
Old 06-28-2003, 03:25 PM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

Default Re: VB&P Power Steering Control Valve (Jim Shea)

Well, I talked to Paul at VB&P when I placed my order, and he recommended the new valve since I planned on keeping the car for awhile. I guess I'm concerned about two issues here. One, getting the best part, and two, whether I paid for a new valve, but received a rebuilt valve. I don't have a problem installing the rebuilt valve if it's good quality, but I certainly don't want to pay the new price. I dunno, should I just wait to talk to VB&P on Monday?
Old 06-28-2003, 05:37 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: VB&P Power Steering Control Valve (Mark70)

Don't grease them as it will void warranty
Old 06-28-2003, 11:34 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

Default Re: VB&P Power Steering Control Valve (dogboy)

Check your invoice, if it is a rebuilt one there would be a core charge.
Should be no core charge on a new one.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:28 PM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

Default Re: VB&P Power Steering Control Valve (mark79,80)

Thanks for all the comments from everyone! Looks like I'll probably give VB&P a call on Monday anyway, because I can't seem to get the old valve removed from the pitman arm. I've tried a pickle fork, but I don't have enough clearance to get a good whack at it, so I'm going to try and find another tool. Wish me luck!!

VB&P said that they would take my old valve and credit me for $50 if it was in rebuildable condition. There was no core charge listed separately.

Get notified of new replies

To VB&P Power Steering Control Valve

Quick Reply: VB&P Power Steering Control Valve