C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting Timing by Vacuum?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 10:18 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Setting Timing by Vacuum?

Found an old post by a member named AC. He said:

"You can also use a vacuum guage to see where you get your highest reading. I have found when you set the timing to the best vacuum reading, it is usually right on the money . I have used this method twice when the outer ring of my balancer had slipped slightly, and couldn't use a timing light correctly. Each time, when I got a new balancer and timed it...it was right on."

Whatchall think? I may have a slipped harmonic balancer & I need a quick way to set the timing so I won't miss an event this weekend.

JB
Old 06-19-2003, 10:28 AM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: Setting Timing by Vacuum? (JB)

I've heard that too. Usually what I do if I can't see the timing mark for some reason is set to where I think it's a little low, then start advancing it slightly. I shut off the car for about 30 sec. then try to restart it. When it becomes just slightly difficult to start (i.e. the starter seems to not have enough power to turn over the engine for about the first second) I leave it. If you don't like the sound of the starter there, you can back the timing up just slightly. It's a messy way to do it, but it's always worked for me.

:cheers:
Old 06-19-2003, 11:48 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

JB -
You can set the initial timing that way and get in the ballpark. This method, however, will not get you set up correctly for your total timing. Once you get the car running at idle and best vacuum, do a test drive and just make sure you don't get any "pinging" out of it. If you do, back it off a tad. In this configuration, the car will be drivable enough to get it to the tech session on Saturday.

If your balancer has slipped, it will make tuning the car with the curve kit this Saturday very difficult, since we need to know where 36 degrees is. We'll need to determine TDC and re-mark your balancer so we can get your timing set up. We can do this as part of the tech session - no problem - but I need you to procure a long (about 4-6") 14mm bolt that will screw into your spark plug hole and bring the bolt with you to the session. The last person who borrowed my 14mm bolt failed to return it to me, so you need to buy a bolt. With this tool, we can set up your TDC and get you accurately tuned in spite of a slipped balancer. Drop me an e-mail if you need any assistance:
V8FastCars@msn.com
Old 06-19-2003, 12:29 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Remember, U-Haul rents drive-on trailers for $49 per day. As they say in the car commercials, push it in, pull it in, or drag it in! But whatever you must do, get the car there :smash:
Old 06-19-2003, 02:45 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Setting Timing by Vacuum? (page62)

Lars--thanks, I'll start hunting up that bolt this afternoon.

Page--I'll be there, don'tcha worry. :D Car's actually running pretty good, though when I shoot the timing light onto the balancer, I can't even see the timing line at all. It's over somewhere on the other side of the balancer.

JB

[Modified by JB, 1:46 PM 6/19/2003]
Old 06-19-2003, 03:00 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

JB - Go get a new balancer and the seal ring. You can do it with the motor in the car.

My L-82 balancer broke between the inner and outer ring before the car had 50K miles on it. I'm lucky that nothing got tore up when it came appart.

I almost forgot I use a vacuum gauge to set the four corner idle screws. From what I have seen max vacuum is 6-8 degrees to high initial so your max advance unless you have some kind of modified ignition curve you will end up with to much total timing at higher rpm.

[Modified by gkull, 2:04 PM 6/19/2003]
Old 06-19-2003, 05:05 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Setting Timing by Vacuum? (gkull)

JB - Go get a new balancer and the seal ring. You can do it with the motor in the car.

My L-82 balancer broke between the inner and outer ring before the car had 50K miles on it. I'm lucky that nothing got tore up when it came appart.
[Modified by gkull, 2:04 PM 6/19/2003]
Thanks--I was thinking it was doable with the motor in, but it does look like it'll be a bugger. At the least, it looks like I'm gonna be pulling the radiator shroud, and maybe the radiator--kinda hard to tell until I get in there with the puller. Bluevetteman tells me that the aftermarket replacements don't look like the original, so I'm probably going to try and repair the original, though that too sounds like a PITA from the way Bluevetteman describes it.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't have to pull the radiator. Just the fan and water pump. It isn't easy but then pulling a radiator and shroud is much worse. It really helps it you have air tools. There is a company out there that rebuilds balancers. I'll look for their web site. Actually Repairing my balancer wasn't THAT big of a deal. Just a little challenging ! But then again I like challenges.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:32 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Setting Timing by Vacuum? (bluevetteman)

That was me in the original post. I don't actually tune the motor with just the vacuum guage, but it comes in handy when setting the timing at idle and also adjusting idle mixture screws. In the two cases where my balancer had slipped, I kinda had to use it. I would much rather have a balancer on the mark and a timing light. Your ear can tell you a lot about how the car is timed as well.

The one thing I learned about timing with a vacuum guage though, is that it was only the best timing at idle, not under load. I have 11:1 pistons, and on hard accelleration it was too far advanced and pinged.

AC

Get notified of new replies

To Setting Timing by Vacuum?

Quick Reply: Setting Timing by Vacuum?