C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone sprayed a new layer of gelcoat onto their bare fiberglass cars ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 02:51 AM
White 68
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Has anyone sprayed a new layer of gelcoat onto their bare fiberglass cars ???

I saw this product and was curious if anyone here has used it in place of a primer sealer ........before spraying a surfacer like K36 ..... :flag
Old 03-28-2003, 06:41 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone sprayed a new layer of gelcoat onto their bare fiberglass cars ??? (White 68)

I have used spray Gelcoat - it's LOT of work. You put the primer/surfacer OVER the Gelcoat.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:52 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Has anyone sprayed a new layer of gelcoat onto their bare fiberglass cars ??? (White 68)

Too much work for no real benefit anymore. Epoxy primers are the way to go for covering bare fiberglass (PPG has a DP40 & DP50 that cover great, dry hard and sand easy). Or if you need a real high build coat, polyester resin is some good stuff. Search in C2 on the polyester and you'll find some threads where Lars used it recently to allow an easy time removing the factory fiberglass waves on a C2.

From what I've read on the forum, the factory didn't even use gel coat. The smooth surface is simply the resin against the casting mold. Maybe someone else can shed some more light on what the factory did or didn't do.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:59 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone sprayed a new layer of gelcoat onto their bare fiberglass cars ??? (74-Roadster)

yes i did mine,and yes alot of work.my body was in real bad shape after i stripped it ,so i fixed everything then gelcoated it and block sanded it for a month to get it straight and smooth.I gelcoated it in blue also.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:41 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Gelcoat is only required if you've made major repairs and it's only used to seal the repairs. Sharks came with SMC panels (Sheet molded compound) that don't require a gelcoat. If all you're doing is making minor repairs a good primer is all you need. If you're replacing panels with Hand Laid fiberglass or Chopper gun panels they should already come with gelcoat on them but you can add to it if you need to. Gelcoat is really only to seal errant fiberglass strands and give a harder topcoat to hand laid or chopper gun panels.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:19 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone sprayed a new layer of gelcoat onto their bare fiberglass cars ??? (vettfixr)

From everything that I have heard you also have to be pretty fast when working with it due to is has a very short cup life. Once it sprayed you need to clean you gun ASAP or you have a toasted paint gun or your hands.

Old 03-28-2003, 12:29 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I used it after I stripped my car almost 8 years ago. Not too bad to work with but I would never use it again with the new primer sealers that are availible today

Mike :cheers:
Old 03-28-2003, 01:52 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone sprayed a new layer of gelcoat onto their bare fiberglass cars ??? (yellow 72)

Like al (vettefixr)said i had a ton of errand strands of glass coming up,so thats why i gelcoated it,otherwise i wouldnt have done it.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone sprayed a new layer of gelcoat onto their bare fiberglass cars ???

Quick Reply: Has anyone sprayed a new layer of gelcoat onto their bare fiberglass cars ???