C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling a Rear End on a 1970

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 02:02 AM
murf70
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling a Rear End on a 1970

I have developed a leak in my rear end and was wondering if anyone could give me some help as to how to go about correcting this. Is it something I should leave to the local shop or can a guy with limited tools and knowledge get through this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Murf70
Old 03-28-2003, 06:42 AM
randy72
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Pulling a Rear End on a 1970 (murf70)

Is the seal at the rear cover leaking or is it the pinion seal (front) or is it leaking at one of the side yokes? Either way, you will have to pull the rear cover, which will require disassembly of the rear suspension and dropping the rear cross-member...This can be done with normal tools, but the crossmember bolts are a bear and the shock mounts may be as well. Make sure you mark the cam bolts on the strud rods so you know how to index them. If it's the rear cover, remove and re-seal it...If it's leaking somewhere else and you have limited skills, you may want to take it to a pro to be re-paired and then re-install yourself. Make sure you get alignment checked later.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:02 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: Pulling a Rear End on a 1970 (randy72)

I just pulled my rear end recently and it took about 5 hours doing it alone in my garage. (But my suspension had only been together for a few years, so I didn't have to fight rust or stuck parts. YMMV.)
Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Pulling a Rear End on a 1970

Quick Reply: Pulling a Rear End on a 1970