C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i'm installing headers & converting to true duals.............

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 06:51 PM
SicChild
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i'm installing headers & converting to true duals.............

Hey guys. Very soon I'll be installing my headers and converting my car to true dual exhaust. A friend gave me a set of dynomax shortys, so that's the headers I'll be using. And I think I'm gonna go with the Flowmaster 40 delta flows for the mufflers. Saturday I have an appointment at the local garage to get it all checked out and get a quote. And on tuesday, I have an appointment to get the headers on. I'll have to run open headers until I get the rest of the exhaust completed.

Your thoughts?

btw. I'm going to buy a new set of tires. Any recommendations? I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I don't want something poopiety either.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:22 PM
rob75383
Pro

Default Re: i'm installing headers & converting to true duals............. (SicChild)

I'm not familiar with the dynomax shorties you referred to, but I can almost guarantee that you will feel the differance in power you will get with headers and true duals vs. the psuedo duals with 2 y pipes and one cat.
I just bought a set of SS 2.5" center in/out mufflers from summit, and for $49 each, I think its a great deal...
here is a thread I posted about these. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=512369
Although, I have not heard them yet, I'll bet they are a little quieter than the flowmasters.

--Not that I'm condoning the practice, but, if you can get a good relationship with a muffler shop, you can have a pair of cats welded in to pass the sniffer test, then, the next day, have the shop remove them, and pack them away 'till the next test. Of course, this all depends on how they test you folks for emissions up there.
Good luck!
Old 03-27-2003, 09:58 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: i'm installing headers & converting to true duals............. (SicChild)

IMHHO: You are gonna love the true dual exhaust. Most guys here really arent sold on "shorty" headers, but then we dont get them for FREE either. You should notice a BIG difference in your cars performance with no other mods.........I know I did........ :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

[Modified by tnt76vette, 10:02 PM 3/27/2003]
Old 03-27-2003, 10:48 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

You'll definitely feel a difference in performance. I highly suggest that you have an H-pipe installed also; it will make a difference in the sound. Mine is welded in behind the transmission cross-member. If you don't have emissions testing, then I would forget about the cats. We don't have any testing here, but no exhaust shop would work on it without putting it back to factory specs, i.e., a single cat. So I bought Mid America's true dual system and installed it myself.

If you still have 15" wheels, then BFG Radial T/A isn't bad for the price. I haven't tried anything else to compare with, though. Corvette Fever also mentions the Dunlop GT Qualifier. Nobody really makes a performance tire in the 15" sizes anymore.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:01 PM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: i'm installing headers & converting to true duals............. (Captain Morgan)

I have a '79 and have done that, but not with shorties. Ran the pipes through the crossmember as the holes are there with two cats. Removed the crossmember eventually as I transplanted the tranny with a 700R4. You will notice a BIG diofference. Also used the Flowmasters.. good choice.

My new wheels are going on this weekend. 17" TT II (American Racing) I will be posting pics and reupping my sig and web page. ?'s just ask.. Good Luck!
Old 03-27-2003, 11:14 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

One other thing I recommend is that you order a 68-75 Center Hanger Kit from Corvette World. Their website is http://www.corvettedept.com but I don't see anything online about it. When I had ordered, I was able to find it online, but they have changed their website since then. You can contact them to order it. The part number I have is 5851 but this will NOT work for your vette since you have an auto tranny. They should be able to find the right part for you. Don't let them tell you that it won't fit a post-75 vette because it will fit just fine. It is very easy to install, you just unbolt the rear of the transmission where it bolts to the cross-member, raise the tranny just enough to slide the hanger in there, and then lower it and put the bolts back in. Aside from lifting the car, it's about a ten minute job or less.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:39 PM
68ragtop
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have headers with a chambered exaust from mid america. At cruising speeds she purrs, step on it and WOW! Totally awesome, sounds like a vette should. Last summer I got pulled over by a cop for the sound, not that it was too loud, he just wanted to see what I did :cool:
Old 03-28-2003, 07:44 AM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: i'm installing headers & converting to true duals............. (68ragtop)

I'd plan to spend some time on rejetting too.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:24 PM
midwest-vette
Instructor

If you're not using any of the existing exhaust, I would recommend cutting the exhaust off with a saws-all (I rented one for $12 for the day and only needed it for an hour) and remove the manifolds and install the headers by yourself. I had the Flowmaster 50's and an H-pipe installed. It was about $300 for new pipe and mufflers. Maybe a bit high, but I really like the performance and sound.

Get notified of new replies

To i'm installing headers & converting to true duals.............

Quick Reply: i'm installing headers & converting to true duals.............