C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help diagnosing problem with front wheel drive car

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 06:50 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Need help diagnosing problem with front wheel drive car

My girlfriend has got a 97 Altima and it's making a chattering type noise when you turn the wheel fairly hard and accelerate. It doesn't do it if you aren't accelerating. She hasn't been in any kind of accident or anything and I don't see anything wrong with it on a quick visual inspection. It does it turning both directions but the noise is coming from the right front wheel area.
Any ideas?

[Modified by tshort, 5:51 PM 3/27/2003]
Old 03-27-2003, 06:57 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 511 Likes on 311 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem with front wheel drive car (tshort)

One of the 'Constant velocity joints' Right or left is going bad. Have a mechanic look at both joints to see which one is bad. :yesnod:
Old 03-27-2003, 11:26 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem with front wheel drive car (killain)

:iagree:
Old 03-28-2003, 12:46 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem with front wheel drive car (killain)

Is that what a CV joint is? That's what I thought but I wasn't sure if CV was the correct terminology. Now I know what CV stands for. Just need to figure out how much a new one costs and put it in now.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:35 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Give you a few tips on those damn things...first off, the hub bolt is good for a whole lot of torque, need a large socket and 1/2 drive, and good long extension bar with pipe on it...wedge the lug nuts against the ground/floor with a pry bar....then release either the top, middle of the strut, whichever is easier...OR carefullly release the bottom ball joint to allow the entire strut to move out thereby sliding the end of the shaft otta the hub....
the other end is just slip/clipped into the tranny,, so they say, sometimes it can be a rea bitch to seat and unseat that slip clip...frankly they don't even need it, but that's another story...at any rate you need take the entire old assy to whereever you are getting another unit ....they need actually see the old part....these things vary in length depending on just who supplied what for the car...beleive me when I say....been there several time...and nissan is one of the worst for this....
BTW, you are looking for grease splattered all over one/more of those accordian looking black round rubber CV joint 'boots'....trouble is, once that fails...dirt gets in the joint and it makes noise...can't be cleaned as the bearings are under lotsa power /torque and fail immediately....so just washing and regreasing and rebooting is largely a waste of time for the 150 bux it takes to just get the whole damn shaft rebuilt....

GENE
Old 03-28-2003, 07:05 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem with front wheel drive car (mrvette)

:iagree:
Old 03-28-2003, 08:53 AM
Robd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced both of my cv joints in my 97 Altima I think they cost me about 100 bucks for both. The cores are more than the parts. If I remember correctly the pass side is bolt in and the drivers side is slide in, the slide in one took was a pain to get out. I used my Chilton’s manual and it was straight forward, as always with that type of stuff there is a learning curve. It took me 2 hours for one side and about 15 minutes for the other.

[Modified by Robd, 8:55 AM 3/28/2003]
Old 03-28-2003, 12:42 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem with front wheel drive car (Robd)

Man I love this forum. You're bound to find someone here that knows just about anything. Thanks a lot guys. One more thing. So will it be best to take the old one/s back for a core charge and buy new or do you get it rebuilt? Also, can you get the CV jt at an automotive store or do I have to go to Nissan?
Thanks again. :cheers:
Old 03-28-2003, 01:49 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

You can get them at most auto stores .napa advanced auto,parts america etc...take the core back and get a rebuilt unit for the price.Ive replaced a hundred or so and only had one go bad that was a rebuilt unit.Nissan dealer equals big bucks$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Any of the boots ripped and slinging grease out of them?

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 1:49 PM 3/28/2003]

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 1:50 PM 3/28/2003]
Old 03-28-2003, 01:55 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

I don't know of anyone who rebuilds them. But ALL the auto parts stores sell them. As mentioned bring in the old ones for your core charge and to match for the new ones. I agree with above Nissan is horrible about knowing what part they put on which car. They don't know, you have to tell them. :rolleyes:
Old 03-28-2003, 02:09 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem with front wheel drive car (71,454,4spd)

Guys, after bailing and bailing that POS nissan junk my ex gal drove...nearly new at the time, and lo miles too....that damn car was much worse than an 810 datsun wagon I owned....
tell you what, nissan is junk/////pure and simple....never fought a damn car so hard over the simplest things...and the failure rate was VERY high...constant something.....she even had a tranny rebuilt....just NO end of it...and the body/interior/paint was just crap....

GENE
Old 03-28-2003, 03:08 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem with front wheel drive car (mrvette)

:iagree: I have had several datsun/nissan vehicles under my care. I was pleased with them, but the last one I had was a 93 and it gave alot more problems than my 91. I had many people who owned 94's and later say the same as Mr, "pure junk".
Old 03-28-2003, 03:33 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Need help diagnosing problem with front wheel drive car (71,454,4spd)

Well i have to beg to differ,ive worked on the older crap and yes they are junk,but i bought a 2001 pathfinder Le and havent had one problem with it,i buynew cars every 3 years and theyve all let me down,chrysler,gm,saturn,ford,olds,but this nissan has been great.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help diagnosing problem with front wheel drive car

Quick Reply: Need help diagnosing problem with front wheel drive car