C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Ignition Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 10:17 AM
Garys69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electronic Ignition Upgrade

I recently modified the stock points/condensor distributor on my 69 SB with a Pertronix electonic ignition kit. I went ahead and bought the "Flame Thrower" coil that is designed to work with this module. The "Flame Thrower" touts a voltage output of 40,000 volts. I think the original AC Delco stock coil is something like 30,000 volts. I went ahead an upgraded the plug wires to 8mm high performance because of the increased coil output. My question is, should I continue to use the stoc, factory recommended plugs. In this case they are AC R44. I read something to the effect that with the higher coil voltage, the spark plug gap could be increased which would result lin a longer spark path equating to a hotter plug???? Can I simply use the stock plugs gapped at the factory recommended .035" ???
Old 03-27-2003, 10:30 AM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Default Re: Electronic Ignition Upgrade (Garys69)

I'm going to convert mine to the Breakerless SE system this Spring, and from what the folks I'm purchasing the unit from have said, stock plugs and gaps are recommended. Nice color, btw :seeya
Old 03-27-2003, 01:52 PM
JIM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throw away those plugs they are extremely cold. I know they are cross referenced with other numbers (and mfg's). Go to a speed shop and buy some accell or ngk plugs in the proper heat range. A warning though they cost more than the 99 cent ac delcos.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:52 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I changed over to AC Rapidfire plugs and have been very happy with them. You should stick with a stock plug and gap.

Get notified of new replies

To Electronic Ignition Upgrade

Quick Reply: Electronic Ignition Upgrade