C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FM Modulator Users

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 12:57 AM
SizzleChest
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FM Modulator Users

looking for feedback from people using factory stereos with fm modulators and cd changers

does the tiny amp in the factory unit provide enough power to produce a decent sound? is there any way to use an external amp?

i'd really like to be able to play cds in my vette, but i can't have anything aftermarket in a visible location from outside the car. suggestions?

thanks!
Old 03-27-2003, 04:01 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: FM Modulator Users (SizzleChest)

If you send CD music to your factory radio, it will sound just like all the other music you hear through it. Maybe a little clearer, but not any louder.

You can add better speakers to your system, that will give you a decent upgrade to your sound, but unless you go to an amp system. you won't be splitting your ear drums out.

Go Here --> http://www.crutchfield.com/ and call them, tell them what you are wanting to do, and they should be able to help you.....

Hope this helps :cheers: :seeya
Old 03-28-2003, 10:45 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,479 Likes on 768 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Re: FM Modulator Users (SizzleChest)

I added a CD changer in the back storage compartment, and upgrading the speakers in the stock locations. The CD sounds much better than the orgianl FM set up, though not as robust as a modern stereo set up. I used a 6 CD Pioneer, which will fit angled mounted, and the cover will close. Being my car is a '78 Pace, I wanted to keep it orginal and use the stock radio head, so this set up works real nice. The CD is mounted via velcro, and is fully removable. The speakers are difficult to detect as non original. The biggest hurdle I had was the rear speakers. Since modern speakers have a substantially bigger magnet I had to cut and reinforce the brackets on the cover assembly. I worked much of a day on it, but the results were very good. Totally undetectable as anything but stock.

Get notified of new replies

To FM Modulator Users

Quick Reply: FM Modulator Users